Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel Movements?

Exclamation Bowel Movements?

I really need some advice to know if this is "normal". I have other children but have not experienced this before.

some background--my son will be 3 weeks old on Friday and I ebf him. He's been eating wonderfully and is already a pound heavier than his birth weight (now weighing over 10 lbs.). It's clear that he is getting plenty to eat. He also has lots of wet diapers.

He's not been much of a pooper since the day we brought him home. Last week he went 24 hours w/no bowel movement so I called the nurse and she reassured me on the phone that it can be normal even w/bf babies (he finally went twice that afternoon). Then on Monday I took him in because it had been 48 hours with no bowel movement. She did a rectal check using her pinky (yes, invasive, but it was quick and needed to be done). She said everything felt normal, and sounded normal. He did have a bowel movement due to the pinky exam and it was normal. And it wasn't very much. I expected a blow out but it wasn't all that.

The bowel movements that he does have ARE normal. He's not constipated. The Ped. sees no cause for concern and said that even some bf babies will only have one bowel movement a week. I could see that later on, but at 2-3 weeks old?

As of today, it's been 48 hours again (well, since his appt. Monday morn.). When is this kid going to poop?

He's eating great, about every 3 hours (sometimes every 2), and he doesn't seem in pain at all.

So is this normal for some bf babies? Should I be concerned? It's not that I don't trust my Ped. and the checkup did bring reassurance, but I'm not a huge fan of the medical society in general and want to hear from others if I have cause for concern here. Please reassure me! I want to know my lo is doing okay.

Default Re: Bowel Movements?

It's completely normal.

Breast milk is digested and used up close to completely, therefore our babies generally have less "waste" to get rid of. My sister's DD2 went over a week without a movement, my DD2 has gone as far as 5 days without. It's nothing to cause alarm unless when they go it's dry and hard.

My LO started to not be an every feed/every day pooper at around 2 weeks old, that's when things started to space out for us.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

absolutely normal. my 5-week old is the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    It's completely normal.

Breast milk is digested and used up close to completely, therefore our babies generally have less "waste" to get rid of. My sister's DD2 went over a week without a movement, my DD2 has gone as far as 5 days without. It's nothing to cause alarm unless when they go it's dry and hard.
    Thanks... now that you mention it, I think I remember the nurse on the phone saying something like that too.

I guess I was worried because everything I had read (went to Kellymom, etc...) gave me the impression that after 3 or 4 weeks this could be normal but for the first 2-3 weeks I should be seeing several bowel movements a day. And from day 1 he wasn't much of a pooper so that had me concerned. But, I guess he's just absorbing most of it (the milk) which is a good thing! I must be producing extra healthy stuff this time around!

I've been having the same problem with my 18 week old DD. She used to poop every morning, then started going every other day, and now its been 5 days since her last poop and I AM getting a little worried. BUT, I'll find out whether or not theres an issue when she finally does go. Still plenty of wets so, I am not really all that concerned.

When she finally does go, I'm expected the blowout of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by walimaki View Post
    I've been having the same problem with my 18 week old DD. She used to poop every morning, then started going every other day, and now its been 5 days since her last poop and I AM getting a little worried. BUT, I'll find out whether or not theres an issue when she finally does go. Still plenty of wets so, I am not really all that concerned.

When she finally does go, I'm expected the blowout of the century.

My LO went for 48 hours without pooping in his first week (he is 9 weeks old now) and the ped did invasive etc and he was fine. He just didn't want to poop. Even now he doesn't poop regularly. I used to worry that he wasn't getting enough to eat, but he is gaining well. Please try not to worry about it. Some babies just don't like to poop.

mine did the same thing....she's 4 months old now and still only goes like every 4 days
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png

OH. MY. GOSH.

So, I had to search for this thread, but I found it and I just HAD HAD HAD to share. It's been a WHILE since Abby pooped last. I'd even lost track of the days...I'm guessing it was somewhere around a week and a half. I really don't remember, but I didn't get all crazy over it thinking she was constipated. I figured I'd wait 'til she DID poop and I'd find out. Loose poop = no problem, Hard poop = constipation, right?

WEEEEELLLLL...

Abby's been having THE. WORST. GAS. EVER. as far as smell is concerned. Her stomach hasn't seemed to have been bothering her, but seriously, she smelled like her insides had turned rotten.

Then this morning she finally went a little. It was a "normal" amount, but it was TOTALLY RANCID.

I figured she had more in her, but I did not anticipate the volcanic eruption of poo that this child was about to blow out of her bum. We went out, to an electronics store with our friends, and while carrying her in the sling I felt a rumble down under, and then the smell wafted up to my nostrils and I just knew...BLOWOUT. So i took her to the car to change her and it literally took me 15 minutes to clean her, get her clothes off without her freezing (its been raining) without making a mess and without barfing from the sheer NASTINESS of the situation. I mean... I felt like I needed a shower after changing this kid.

So...when I said I was expecting the blowout of the century...I guess I was NOT exaggerating. Not by any means at all.

Oh and I know I mentioned the smell of the 1st...now multiply rancid by putrid and then divide it by repulsive and then figure the square root of utterly disgusting and you will have what the 2nd smelled like.

SO.DISGUSTINGLY. SICK.

and then she did it again later at my friends' house. Though not nearly on such a large scale. Noooooo, she had to save the "good" one for when we are out in public...

she intentionally tortures me I tell ya

Quote Originally Posted by walimaki View Post

Oh and I know I mentioned the smell of the 1st...now multiply rancid by putrid and then divide it by repulsive and then figure the square root of utterly disgusting and you will have what the 2nd smelled like.

SO.DISGUSTINGLY. SICK.
    This part had me in tears!!! You have a gift for description.