Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice for 2 months shots!

Exclamation Need advice for 2 months shots!

My LO is going to the doctor for her 2 month round of immunization, any advice on what I should do to avoid having a horrible experience? should I give her medicine before? should I be ready for sleepless nights and lots of crying?
    thanks ladies!

Default Re: Need advice for 2 months shots!

I've always given a dose of tylonel before the appointment.

With this LO the ped (different one then my first 2 since he had retired) said to give her the smallest dose of Tylonel before we come, and while at the appointment they'll let me know if she can have any more then that (adjust to weight).

"Hope for the best, expect the worst" that's my DH's motto with many things. It applies for Vaccinations as well. One of my LOs used to sleep a ton after getting shots, the other one didn't sleep much at all. It'll be interesting to see how my newest LO will react.

I say be prepared for it, but it might turn out differently.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I took my LO for his two month shots a couple of weeks ago and it was a much better experience than what I had even hoped for. I didn't give tylenol beforehand, but next time I probably will. He cried when she gave the shots of course, but by the time I picked him up to comfort him, he was already calming down and was actually smiling by the time I had him strapped in his car seat. He *was* a little crankier for a few days and it was easier for me to sleep with him and nurse throughout the night for a few nights, but overall it wasn't bad. Keep up with the tylenol doses for a few days and you probably won't see too much of a reaction. GL!!

My lo had them last week and the dr said not to give her tylenol, well she screamed for two hours straight about two hours after her shots because her leg was red and swollen. I ended up giving her medicine without their permission.
    Next time I am giving it to her before shots. I switched drs too. She slept well that night and all day the next day. She got a small fever 100.4.

I didn't know ahead of time that vaccinations would be a big deal, so I didn't know what to expect. I expected him to cry when he got them, which he did, and then to be fine - which he wasn't! He went to sleep on the way to the store after the doctor's appt. and woke up with such a loud cry that my mother in law heard him at the other end! He wasn't a wreck or anything, but he was miserable the rest of that day with lots of crying and the next day too. I gave him tylenol afterwards (would've been nice for a heads up from the ped.) b/c the area was red & swollen. Next time I'm giving the medicine ahead of time, just check the dosing with the doctor. It'll be fine!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

My ped recommends nursing immediately after the vax because "it helps the hurt go away." He's right! It does! BM is amazing. We also do infant tylenol and whatever DD wants for 2 days. I always nurse her as soon as we get to the office. I think she can tolerate more on a full stomach.

You could also consider not doing them at 2 mos. You could delay them until you LO is older. Some research suggests that vaccines are more effective at preventing diseases if they are given to older children because their immune systems are more fully developed. Also, spacing the shots out more (we do only 1-2 shots every 6 weeks) helps the vaccinations be more effective. The vaccines were not designed to be given 4 at a time, which could be 7 or 8 diseases, could easily overwhelm a little immune system.

And, of course, you have the option of not doing them at all. If you aren't sure about it - it doesn't hurt to delay them!

I asked my ped to not give all 5 vaccinations in one day, so we separated it into two. I got 2 shots and 1 oral on his 2 months visit, then 2 more two weeks later, which was Tuesday. He was really tired, little feverish and lost a bit of an appetite, but I kept nursing him as much (or as little) as he wanted. Little fussier than usual, but it wasn't too bad. He slept more than usual so it was kind of nice for me lol.
    I'm planning on separating out his future vaccinations too so he won't get overloaded with shots.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    My ped recommends nursing immediately after the vax because "it helps the hurt go away." He's right! It does! BM is amazing. We also do infant tylenol and whatever DD wants for 2 days. I always nurse her as soon as we get to the office. I think she can tolerate more on a full stomach.

You could also consider not doing them at 2 mos. You could delay them until you LO is older. Some research suggests that vaccines are more effective at preventing diseases if they are given to older children because their immune systems are more fully developed. Also, spacing the shots out more (we do only 1-2 shots every 6 weeks) helps the vaccinations be more effective. The vaccines were not designed to be given 4 at a time, which could be 7 or 8 diseases, could easily overwhelm a little immune system.

And, of course, you have the option of not doing them at all. If you aren't sure about it - it doesn't hurt to delay them!
    I completely agree. Go to the library and do some research for yourself. There's alot to learn when it comes to parenting.