Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to feed

Default How to feed

I watched the babysitter feeding DS today. She didn't wait very long between spoonfuls and didn't wait for him to open his mouth to indicate that he wanted a spoonful. Consequently, he finished most of the rice and all of the fruit that was portioned out for him. (She stopped when he turned his head away the first time.) With me, he might finish 1/2 of what I put in the little bowls (usually 1 1/2 tbs rice in 1 bowl + 2 generous baby spoonfuls of fruit/veggie in 1 bowl) but he usually eats less. I wait for him to open his mouth and I let him play with the food on the spoon.

What's the right way to be doing this? I'm unsure. I've only read 1 book on baby feeding so I only have that perspective on things.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: How to feed

I should add that I've decided not to do BLS for a little while and I definitely don't want the babysitter feeding him this way - she doesn't know CPR as far as I know (most in this country don't) and I don't want a crisis to happen when I'm not home.
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

My mom feeds like your babysitter and I feed more like you. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way, you'll find your own groove, I think. And by the time your lo is getting most of his nutrition from solid food, he'll probably be feeding himself.

I just saw the second post, and I think if you want her to slow down feeding him, you should definitely tell her so.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    My mom feeds like your babysitter and I feed more like you. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way, you'll find your own groove, I think. And by the time your lo is getting most of his nutrition from solid food, he'll probably be feeding himself.

I just saw the second post, and I think if you want her to slow down feeding him, you should definitely tell her so.
    By my second post, I meant that I don't want her to feed DS using the BLS method because of the lack of knowledge of rescue breathing. That's why I haven't really gone down that route.

Thanks for the advice, Paige! Do you think I'm being too neurotic? I've had a lot of food issues for the majority of my life and I just don't want DS to end up like me. I don't want him to eat when he's not hungry because he was fed that way as a baby. But maybe it's good that she gets him to eat more. I just don't know...

Oh! I get it now. I thought..well, I think you get what I thought.

Anyway, no I don't think you're being neurotic. It's normal to be constantly wondering if you're doing things right, I think . At any rate, if it's not normal then I'm neurotic, too!

I think if your bs stopped when your lo turned his head, then he's probably not eating more than he wants or needs. He's giving her a signal that he's done and it sounds like she's picking up on it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Anyway, no I don't think you're being neurotic. It's normal to be constantly wondering if you're doing things right, I think . At any rate, if it's not normal then I'm neurotic, too!
    Good - we're co-conspirators!