Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems starting at 3 weeks

Question Problems starting at 3 weeks

My daughter was 3 weeks yesterday and it seems like we are suddenly having all sorts of problems. She has gotten much fussier and that has made breastfeeding so much harder. From the start she was great at breastfeeding so I can't understand why we're having trouble starting now.

Here's the first problem: When we start a feeding she will latch on fine. After maybe about 10 minutes she will pull away from my nipple and cry. She will act like she is trying to find my nipple again but when she does she only latches on for a minute before repeating the cycle. My first thought would be that she's not getting enough but her diapers still seem to be ok. I'm scared she's going to start causing herself to not get enough by doing this though.

My second problem has to do with feedings and naps. Because of her fussiness, it takes a long time to get her down for a nap. So from the time I feed her until the time she goes to sleep over an hour has passed. Should I wake her up to feed her again during that 2-3 hour window or just let her sleep?

I would appreciate any help you can give me. I feel like I'm about to reach my breaking point.

Default Re: Problems starting at 3 weeks

If I could venture a guess, I would say she is going through the three week growth spurt. It is very common at this time for babies to act like your daughter is. It is beyond frustrating for mom though, I know!!

Here is a link from Kellymom.com (a great breastfeeding resource) that talks about when growth spurts can happen, and what babies do during this time.

This link lists other reasons your baby might be fussing at the breast.
    I hope this helps you a little!! Hang in there momma, it does get better!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

yup 3 week growth spurt!
    sometimes they pull off when they get an air bubble.

Congrats on the new LO!! My DS does that latch on/pull off thing usually when he needs to burp. When she pulls off, try burping her and then see if she will latch back on. Hope that helps some!

ah yes, the wonderful 3-week growth spurt. this too will pass, and then you hit another at 6-weeks.
    I'd wake my LO up if he hit the 3 hour mark.

hang in there!

growth spurt! sounds exactly like what i was going through, not too long ago. and although you might not see the light at the end of the tunnel right now, we're all going to tell you that it's going to get better.

have patience and persevere!! go, you!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yep, at 3 wks my LO started getting fussy at the breast. I had an oversupply and OALD, so she was getting too much milk and didn't like it. She would only feed for about 5 minutes too. I remember going crazy. Hang in there, it'll get better.