Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sucsess rate of relactation?

Question Sucsess rate of relactation?

What is the sucsess rate of people trying to relactate? I would love to try I stopped bf my almost 7 month old 2 months ago. She will still latch on and try to suck but stops when there is no milk. Please answer? Did you use drugs, how long did it take?
    Thanks so much

Default Re: Sucsess rate of relactation?

how often did you pump also?

that's great she is still latching! I relactated it can happen and does happen if you have the patience and determination ! and if little one will still take you! I hand expressed (Pump gives better results but i couldn't use one) every 2 hours at least. i was told every 2 hours during the day and every 4 -6hours at night. but I did it every hour it seemed during the day sometimes more. cluster pumping seemed to work very good in the mornings
    pump 10 minutes
    off 10 minutes
    pump 10 minutes
    off 10 minutes
    pump 20 minutes.

it's mimicing cluster feedings that really helped bring up my supply.

now the first 2 weeks were slow starts. i went from drops to sprays to like 1/2 an oz the first week or so but once i got up to that 1 oz a day my supply really increased at a much faster rate. so a lot of women don't see that strong increase in the beginning and give up thinking it's not working, but it is and just takes some time at first to increase enough for you to really notice the increase.

things you can try is Fenugreek, or mothers milk tea. I ate a lot of oatmeal and drank lots of water
    goodluck if you have any other questions ask there are so many helpful women here !
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Tiffany Jewl,

I am so glad for your post. It was exactly what I needed to know. I am at the "moving from drops to spray" phase and was wondering how long this stage would last. I am in this for the long haul, but am glad for the encouragement that "it will get faster."

I read on Jack Newman's site that baby will come back to breast easier once there is milk. So while I am encouraging him to comfort suck after he eats, I am really pumping to relactate. I am doing what you said about pumping and stopping and pumping and stopping. My LC says "5 minutes every hour." I can't just do five minutes an hour. I feel like it will never happen that way.

I can play with the baby and take care of the kids while pumping. I can stop to do a load of laundry or wash some dishes and pump again! I can't help thinking that each drop is one step closer to giving my baby the milk he deserves.