Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you do it? Am I not getting something?

Default How do you do it? Am I not getting something?

I am pumping for my baby both while I'm with her and while I'm at work. My travel schedule is getting more intense - and I just don't understand how to schedule pumping sessions while traveling and scheduling meetings. Do folks really sit in airplane bathrooms, public restrooms, request time slots during all-day meetings off-site to pump? I find it so awful sitting on a toilet with the pump running in filthy restrooms while I'm traveling, that I'm thinking about stopping. But, I've struggled so hard for the past 7 months to have any milk supply at all, that I'm afraid that I would regret stopping pumping just because it's embarrassing, inconvenient and unsanitary. I feel a little foolish, because I only pump about 50 ml every 3 hours, but, then, it's a lot more than nothing...and it's taken months to get this much of a supply...

I feel like I'm not getting something. How do you do it? Are those of you eping really pumping for 30 minutes every 3 hours?

Has anyone stopped at 7 months and felt okay about it? I really wanted to make it to 9 months (for no particular reason, it just seemed like a good date).

Thank you for your advice and thoughts...

Default Re: How do you do it? Am I not getting something?

Wow, you're doing an amazing job! You're obviously very dedicated to your lo. I don't exclusively pump myself, but I have seen on here that women who do can often start consolidating their pumping sessions and still get enough milk. One woman was pumping 3x a day, but getting 8oz each session, so she got enough for her lo. Maybe if you focus on using your hands like in this video http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html that babygurl found for us you could pump less often but still get enough. I'm sure someone who exclusively pumps will be able to give you better advice later on!

I've been exclusively pumping for 15 weeks now. I used to travel like CRAZY like you - so I know how it is. I'm SERIOUSLY impressed with your dedication! I pump 6 times a day (so on avg about every 4 hours...yes at night too) for about 30 minutes a pop. I get about 30 ounces a day if I stay hydrated.

I straight up told my boss I wasn't going to travel anymore after I got to 32 weeks pregnant. If he said no, I just would have explored my legal rights, quit and found a more accomodating job. I thought ahead to how traveling and breastfeeding would work and envisioned myself in bathrooms like you said. I thought - I wouldn't prepare MY meal in a filthy bathroom, so why would I prepare my little girl's? It is totally unrealistic of your employer to expect this!

I'll probably get slammed for saying this (about formula), but if you can't change your job to be more accomodating to the needs of motherhood for 2 to 5 more short months, and if you can't get a different job, then formula is the only option. No bathrooms! Formula is just fine. Your girl is probably making good progression into solids by now anyway. You've done an outstanding job - battling amazing hurtles to pumping. I don't think I would have lasted 7 months! Best bet is to get them to lighten up on your travel schedule.

I'm sorry - I wish I had a silver bullet for you.

Thank you so much for your supportive words. It is really hard to do this, even when everything is working right (i.e., having a full milk supply).

And, thanks for making me feel okay about formula and about not feeling okay about "making her meals" in a restroom. Ugh! It's gross!!!

I've tried cutting back the pumping combined with manual milk release, and my supply goes down drastically. Recently, I moved to every four hours and I am getting barely half what I was getting the previous weeks. So....maybe the writing is on the wall.... And..I am thinking about changing jobs, especially if another lo comes along.

Good luck to both of you, too...