Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby refusing breast - I'm a mess

Default baby refusing breast - I'm a mess

I didn't realize how emotional breast feeding was. my ds no.3 keeps refusing to nurse. he is quite clearly hungry and 'roots' a lot, but the minute he comes anywhere near me or my breast he screams. My ds no.2 went on nursing strike at 11 months and I never got him back so this is bringing back all kinds of memories. I'm a total mess. I really don't want to give up, and I hope I can post a positive story on here one day but at the moment, I've had enough.

I am tackling OALD/Oversupply and keep getting blocked ducts (almost daily). I'm currently sitting at the computer shivering again with a blocked duct.

can anyone offer any words of wisdom? why are there so many emotions attached to breastfeeding? I read that with blocked ducts you get teary? so I'm sure it's not PND.

My little man is also sleeping really well at night so I don't have that as an excuse.

thank you for any kind words.

girlontheseesaw

Default Re: baby refusing breast - I'm a mess

How old is your LO now? I wished I could offer some words of wisdom, but I am a first time mother who's baby is also refusing my breast and though it has been 5 months, I am still hoping one day I could go back to EBF, so I know how you feel..

I hope things work out for you, maybe these women here can help, and hopefully I do get to to read your positive story someday soon.

Ok, don't know how much of a help I am going to be...but I wanted to show my support. (I am a first time mom, and don't have much experience)

Have you tried pumping and feeding by bottle to see if it is just the breast he doesn't want, or it is your milk?
    Has he fed at all by breast before now? Are you feeding him formula now? No chance he could be lactose intolerant, could he?

As for the emotions, I haven't really experienced what you are feeling, so I really can't offer any advice there. All I can do is offer words of encouragement. Hang in there!

I have tried the bottle with ebm, but he won't take it. the thing is he eats fine some days but then goes for very long periods without eating at all. he went almost 24 hours without eating the other day, and then almost 12 hours a few days later. I find it hard to manage, esp with oald and trying to reduce my supply, it makes block feeding quite hard.

he's 9 weeks old and has been feeding fine up until now.

I just get so stressed when he won't eat. my other son used to eat every time I offered it to him.

breast feeding can be so hard.

hi i know how you're feeling... my dd is nearly 5 weeks old now and has been refusing the breast in the past couple of days too. She was feeding fine up till now, with a fussy period in the evening when she would latch on and off, suck/cry/suck/cry. However in the last few days she has started to do this during the daytime feeds too. Today she has been on/off for no more than 5 minutes each feed.

I'm not sure what is wrong either but I have done some research and it COULD BE something that I'm eating that she doesnt like?? I'm going to try and limit my diet and not introduce too many new things and see if it works. Maybe you could try changing your diet too. HTH