Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!!

Unhappy Ouch!!

I know we aren't officially extended nursers yet but I figured I'd ask in here anyways as we're pretty close. So lately whenever Caden nurses it hurts SO bad! He has four teeth but he's not exactly biting. I don't know what he's doing but it leaves me sore afterwards for quite a while and it really stings while he's nursing. He's been sick lately so maybe that has something to do with it

Maybe this is a phase?? Anyone had this problem?

Default Re: Ouch!!

Every time DD gets new teeth she has to "learn" how to adjust her latch and nurse with them. The kind of rub against me and make me a little sore. It's really been fun this month with SIX new teeth. I just make sure that he's opening wide, getting a deep latch and his tongue is covering her bottom teeth. Remember, baby CANNOT bite while he is nursing. At the end, a lot of babies have a tendency to slip to the tip of the nipple and just play/chew a bit. I end the nursing session at that point and she gets the picture.

He's been sick lately so maybe that has something to do with it
    That could have something to do with it too. If he's having a hard time breathing through his nose, he may not be latching deeply enough. You could try the nasal aspirator. I know they hate it, but it might work.

Has he been on antibiotics? Could be thrush... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasMom View Post
    You could try the nasal aspirator. I know they hate it, but it might work.
    Is that the bulb shaped thing?

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    Could be thrush...
    I've never seen any white patches in his mouth or on me. My nipples don't hurt all the time, only while he's nursing or right after for a little while. I don't know much about thrush though... What are the symptoms?

Here's another link with thrush symptoms. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html