Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed Please!!

Default Advice Needed Please!!

HI everyone
    my baby girl is now 5 weeks old, over the past week everyday without fail at 6pm she starts to cry. She then stays awake usually untill 11pm at that point she falls asleep. She goes on and off the breast. i have tried walking around the house, swaddling her and various other things, but sometimes nothing works. She is otherwise fine, she sleeps well at nights and throughout the day.Could this be colic? has anyone else had similar problems?

Default Re: Advice Needed Please!!

This may not be of much help or anything, but babies tend to have fussy times. I have read in a few places that those times tend to be in the evenings through night. Sometimes starting around 4ish, and some later. My 5-week old boy tends to drive me nuts starting around the 5 o'clock hour and it can last on and off through midnight.

I'm not sure if it colic or not, I thought colic was a non-stop thing - like around the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeS View Post
    This may not be of much help or anything, but babies tend to have fussy times. I have read in a few places that those times tend to be in the evenings through night. Sometimes starting around 4ish, and some later. My 5-week old boy tends to drive me nuts starting around the 5 o'clock hour and it can last on and off through midnight.

I'm not sure if it colic or not, I thought colic was a non-stop thing - like around the clock.
    Thanks my husband thinks it may be fussy behaviour aswell.Do you use a soother?

I just continue to nurse him until he falls asleep, I'm gathering it is mostly comfort sucking. I try to not use a pacifier or to hold him too too much, but it is hard to resist cuddling him. It tends to do the trick...They tend to need reassurance and comfort. Try music - classical or something soothing - singing to her or just talking to her in a soothing voice.

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeS View Post
    I just continue to nurse him until he falls asleep, I'm gathering it is mostly comfort sucking. I try to not use a pacifier or to hold him too too much, but it is hard to resist cuddling him. It tends to do the trick...They tend to need reassurance and comfort. Try music - classical or something soothing - singing to her or just talking to her in a soothing voice.
    Ok will try that xxx

Many babies experience a period of fussiness that starts in the late afternoon or early evening and lasts on an average of 3-4 hours. While stressful at times, it is well within the range of normal. This non-LLL resource might answer some of your questions, as well as reassure you with some tips for soothing your baby:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

HTH!

hi there - dont worry, my dd is nearly 5 weeks old and she has EXACTLY the same thing. she sleeps quite well through the day and night but between 6-7pm, she will be awake and fussy and want to be held/ amused/ walked. she will cry and fuss when you put her down but she also doesnt want to sleep or eat. she will finally fall asleep around 10-11pm after another feed. i either nurse her to sleep, rock her to sleep or give her a dummy to soothe her (doesnt always work). i know these are all 'bad habits' but after a 4-hr fussy period, i will try anything!!

My LO went thru the same thing when he was 5 or 6 wks old. He'd start crying inconsolably around 8pm and finally goes to sleep around 10-11pm, due to the exhaustion. This lasted about a week. He continued to have his "moments" from then on until he was 4 mo. I was informed that it was colic. Took him to the ped he confirmed it. According to him, and some books I read, and my sister (who's baby had colic and cried from 12am - 6am everyday for 2 weeks ), colic normally starts with the baby crying around sundown.. then it can change.. maybe he'll start to cry around midnight, or midday. And the way to tell that its collic is that they cry "inconsolably", the tummy is hard, and baby will draw up his legs to his stomach or stick them out straight (to relieve stomach cramps).

Does your LO cry the whole time she's awake between 6-11pm?

Quote Originally Posted by selina21 View Post
    My LO went thru the same thing when he was 5 or 6 wks old. He'd start crying inconsolably around 8pm and finally goes to sleep around 10-11pm, due to the exhaustion. This lasted about a week. He continued to have his "moments" from then on until he was 4 mo. I was informed that it was colic. Took him to the ped he confirmed it. According to him, and some books I read, and my sister (who's baby had colic and cried from 12am - 6am everyday for 2 weeks ), colic normally starts with the baby crying around sundown.. then it can change.. maybe he'll start to cry around midnight, or midday. And the way to tell that its collic is that they cry "inconsolably", the tummy is hard, and baby will draw up his legs to his stomach or stick them out straight (to relieve stomach cramps).

Does your LO cry the whole time she's awake between 6-11pm?
    Wow thank you everyone for all you advice!!

Well she doesnt cry the whole time but most of the time, when we change an activity she is fine for a few minutes then she crys then we do something else then she crys after a few minutes.You see I havent actually left her every time she crys I change the activity but I guess If I didnt change activitys she would cry the whole time.
    I have looked into colic and am considering the elimination diet just to be sure its not something I am eating thats causing any distress. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post

Many babies experience a period of fussiness that starts in the late afternoon or early evening and lasts on an average of 3-4 hours. While stressful at times, it is well within the range of normal. This non-LLL resource might answer some of your questions, as well as reassure you with some tips for soothing your baby:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

HTH!
    Just read the article, it has really reassured me thanks you xxx