Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rice cereal

Default rice cereal

I started feeding my 5 month old rice cereal over the weekend. I wanted to wait until 6 months but he was waking up to nurse every 2 hours and never seemed satisfied!!
    Anyway, here is the question - I work until 6:00 and get home each day at 6:30. Luca goes to bed around 8:30. Normally I nurse him when I get home, then give him a little milk to get him down to sleep. I was thinking of replacing the 6:30 feeding when I get home with rice cereal, then still nursing before bed. Would other mamas out there do this or should I keep both nursing sessions PLUS rice cereal?? I should also mention he takes a 7 oz bottle of breastmilk with his caregiver around 2:30 or 3:00pm each day.
    Sorry this is a little long winded - this starting solids is a bit more confusing that I thought
    Thanks for any advice!
    Courtney (mom to Luca, born 4/16/07)

PS Did anyone else feel sad giving the first bite of solid food? He has never had formula or anything so it was sad, his first food not from mommy!

Default Re: rice cereal

I don't have the answer, but just to let you know that I envy you. My baby never takes 7 oz. My baby is 5 months too, and takes 3 oz most of the time. Sometimes after 5 hours he takes only 1.5 oz. That makes me want to cry.
    Last edited by Kateliza; September 18th, 2007 at 07:34 PM.

From everything that I have read, you should always start a feeding session with nursing then go to cereral , esp at this early stage. If LO isn't intersted in cereal right after nursing, then wait a little bit. Or, you could do 1/2 nursing, cereal, then finish nursing.

This system worked pretty well for me. Then, at about seven months, I nursed in the morning and at night and then on demand throughout the day plus solids at breakfast and dinner.

Hope this helps a bit!

That is helpful - I think I will try that way. Especially because I think it will help the other issue which is that the rice cereal is dry in his throat, the milk before & after should help wash everything down!
    thanks

Hi! Good for you doing your best to do what's right for your baby!

I know you've probably heard or read this before, but I'll just add my 3 cents: I have not had success getting my babies to sleep longer by adding rice cereal to their diet. So don't get too distressed if your baby doesn't go longer between feedings!

I had lots of constipation struggles with my first baby. I attribute this to not nursing before offering solid food. With my twins, I nurse before and after each feeding and haven't had problems with them getting constipated.

Rice cereal is basically empty calories with iron. I suppose it takes longer to digest than breast milk. But it doesn't provide any of the nutrition your baby needs. I would recommend not using it as a replacement for nursing, even if you add breastmilk to the rice.

Good luck! I know you'll do what's best for your baby.
    Last edited by mpoulson; September 19th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateliza View Post
    I don't have the answer, but just to let you know that I envy you. My baby never takes 7 oz. My baby is 5 months too, and takes 3 oz most of the time. Sometimes after 5 hours he takes only 1.5 oz. That makes me want to cry.
    Is absolutely normal for a breastfed baby to take in only 3 oz (or even less) per feed.

Quote Originally Posted by courtneymm6 View Post
    I started feeding my 5 month old rice cereal over the weekend. I wanted to wait until 6 months but he was waking up to nurse every 2 hours and never seemed satisfied!!

Hi Courtney,

There is a growth spurt at about 18-20 weeks, which is no longer widely recognised (probably due to formula use and early weaning habits over the last 20 years or so). But it is just a growth spurt, if you go with it (and yes I know it's hard to feed in the night again if you are working during the day, I have done it!!) it will calm down again, and then you can wait a few more weeks and avoid the fuss and mess of mushy foods a little spoons and go direct to finger foods. It's so much easier and much better for his development with regard to appettite control, hand to mouth coordination, speech development (from the muscles used to chew) and manual dexterity.

Hang in there!!

Jenny