Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nipple confusion in 17-day-old

Default Re: nipple confusion in 17-day-old

Jolie,

Yes, my concern deals with her wanting to feed right after I've pumped. I believe the lactation consultant said it takes an hour or so to replenish the milk supply.

Thank you for the encouragement, the quotes, and all of the tips. My goal today is to keep her with me and have more skin-to-skin contact. I'll let you and everyone else who has offered their help and encouragement know how it goes. Wish us luck.

An obstacle that I encounter when I try to feed her is the dirty diaper. I have been putting her to my breast while she is sleepy and things seems to be okay (she takes the nipple and dozes or comfort sucks for a bit) until she wets or dirties her diaper. Then, she begins to cry and get mad. The lactation consultant I had seen said to just leave the diaper on, but that isn't working. How can I try to nurse when she she's screaming mad? So, I change her and then try to get her back on the breast. But by then she's fully awake and doesn't want anything to do with the breast.

I've been doing the skin-to-skin contact and wearing her in a sling, which has been nice. I know I need to keep the faith and not give up hope, but it's hard. I know I shouldn't feel rejected by Sophia, but I do.

KayKate, How long did it take you? I would love to hear more about your experience.

Do keep the faith. You're doing an amazing job!

I don't have any advice on the dirty diaper thing other than to try to keep her in the diaper and see how it goes (change her if she stays mad) or to switch diapers and see if that helps. Some babies cry because they need to relieve themselves, so changing the diaper might not help if that is why she fusses.

Hang in there! Stay positive!

You've gotten a lot of good advice so there's really nothing I can add but I have so been there! My baby lost too much weight in the hospital, I was a worried new mom, so when they told me to supplement I did it. After he had the bottle he would not breastfeed at all. He screamed and cried and would not latch on, I was so upset! I went to the LC and she helped me get him to latch on but I was never able to do it on my own. I had to use a nipple shield for the first three or four months until he would latch on without it. I wanted to give up so many times, I felt so horrible about not being able to breastfeed my baby. But here I am now, eleven months later. It will get better! You can do this! Just take it one day at a time. It seems like one day your lo will just "get it" and you will be so proud of yourself for sticking it out!

Cadensmommmy: Thank you for sharing your experience and hope. I have a nipple shield and do use it once in a while because she seems to latch on to that, but I've read so many moms preach against it so I don't use it all of the time. Perhaps I should use it more.

Jolie: I am very grateful for your continued support. I can't wait for the day when I can post a message saying, "She did it!"

Quote Originally Posted by At-a-loss View Post
    Cadensmommmy: Thank you for sharing your experience and hope. I have a nipple shield and do use it once in a while because she seems to latch on to that, but I've read so many moms preach against it so I don't use it all of the time. Perhaps I should use it more.
    "
    The problem with nipple shields is that some moms say it negatively affects their supply, however I never had that problem. Also I had a hard time weaning him off the nipple shield so its definitely not the best option but it kept me breastfeeding and that's what was important.

Also I wanted to add that if she will latch on initially with the nipple shield maybe you could start out with it on and then see if you can remove it after a minute or two and see if she will keep feeding.

Any updates?

I am living this too right now! I thought I was the only one!!!! I know how you feel, because I am experiencing exactly the same thing. My baby is 6 weeks old tomorrow, and she still has never sucked effectively, so at least with that one five minute session where she got an ounce you know that your baby CAN nurse!

With the pumping, I pump right after I feed her (slow-flow nipple and pace feeding). If she's sleeping a little longer I sometimes pump once while she sleeps and then again after she eats.

Its so hard with all the finger-feeding/supplemental nursing systems/skin to skin time/pumping. It takes over your whole life. Finally I just had to back off a little because I was getting so frustrated and my baby was picking up on the tension. In the day all I focus on is pumping and lots of cuddling. When I notice that my baby is especially calm, or sleepy, or in a good mood, THEN we try to breastfeed. We have actually made more progress since we stopped trying all the time, because now she doesn't associate the breast with something unpleasant.

Do what YOU can, if trying all these different things gets to be too much, it's okay to back off for a day. That's WAY better then getting so frustrated you decide to stop trying and formula feed instead.

I TOTALLY understand how you feel, because I am living through the same thing right now.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Paige and Jolie,

It's such a relief to hear someone else talk about how time consuming this all is.

I've actually backed off the pumping a bit because it was too much and I was becoming too stressed. But I still offer her the breast at least once a day. And just last Thursday, she actually suckled without any device for about seven minutes. So there has been some small progress. Just not as much as I'd hoped for. I don't know if she got any milk or if she just comfort suckled, though. It happened after I had fed her a few ounces with the bottle. Her latch wasn't the best but I left her there because at least she was there. Since then, however, she has not suckled. She will mouth the nipple for a few seconds and then will realize that this is not what she wants and will get mad and cry. I do also try getting her to nurse while I walk around, but she falls asleep. When I cool her off to wake her up, there goes the crying and pushing away. She's definitely a stubborn little girl!

Have you tried laying down next to her while she naps? She might be willing to nurse when she is still drowsy and just waking up.

Hang in there! You're doing an awesome job.