Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting baby on a schedule - please help!

Default Re: Getting baby on a schedule - please help!

The debate posts from this thread have been moved here:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=33834

Thank you everyone for your responses. Without meaning to, I ended up starting a debate on a variety of issues. I agree that routine is better than a schedule (an incorrect word choice in retrospect). It's just that I am in school and I so badly want to keep breastfeeding and do the right thing for my baby. It is tempting to quit one or the other but not just yet.

P.S: I haven't read any parenting books (and don't plan to). The support from this forum and the wonderful mothers is more than what any book can ever provide.

Depending on what your class schedule is like, you may be able to take baby to school with you. I took DD to class with me (I had 10 credit hours) and we either nursed quietly in class or stepped out into the hall.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

I think it has been said, there is a difference between a schedule and a routine. We do not have a schedule, but we do have a routine/pattern.
    Eat
    Awake
    Sleep

When they are tired, we wrap them and put to bed in crib. They smile at us and do not cry. As soon as they start getting fussy, usually after 1.5-3.5 hours of awakeness... They go right down and that brings them and the family confidence and peace.

It is predictable, they know what is coming next, they are happy.
    They always sleep in crib, no swings or while wearing them, although we use them. We have lots of cuddle and kissing and playtime, almost constantly, and time where they look around in boppies or seats or lay outside on a blanket. But we don't rock or nurse them to sleep. And I have been firm with the grandmas on both sides! Once they see how well they go down, they are amazed. And of course they enjoy them, just while they are awake.

They gradually started lengthening night sleeping times, last night 6.5 hours, then up for feeding, then another 5 hours.

Since the first couple weeks, we have kept a simple log, we have two columns, one for sleep, one for eat and awake, it helps to see what is going on, just comforting to know progress is being made little by little to go from 2.5 hour stretches to 3.5 hours to 4.5 hours, at 5 hours we were so happy, we were ready to take on more babies.... And since we get sleep, it has been a definite possibility!

There have been occasions (infrequent) that they have had catnaps in carseat or stroller, hasn't seemed to have an effect. Dad watches them while I work, so that helps with consistency.

Not to start another debate, but I will say that it makes me sad when I hear of moms who do not nurse/rock/hold their babies to sleep at least some of the time...I am afraid that they are missing out on some of the best moments at the breast and just in general...watching those little eyes close, their little chest rise and fall, in your arms...nothing like it...Stinks to on airplanes or when you can not just put them down that they wont go down...Everyone has to do what works for their family, but this is such a small small time in all of our lives...I promise no matter what we do now, they will go to sleep on their own one day...we all do...

The longer night stretches haven't effected breastfeeding, usually pretty full after 3 hours regardless and they will empty me! I think they take bigger feedings to compensate after a long sleep. They are fat babies with big thigh rolls and necks.