Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So does OALD sort itself out....

Default So does OALD sort itself out....

... once the milk supply settles down? or is this how its going to be?

DS seems to be fussing more & more at the breast and thats with me catching the spray in a breast shell... I managed to collect 1oz this morning without even trying!!! Who needs a pump eh? lol

TIA
    Julie x

Default Re: So does OALD sort itself out....

Hi Julie,

I have heard many mothers say that when their milk supply seemed to "regulate" at about 6-8 weeks postpartum, the problem usually resolved itself. I know that's not always the case, but it seems to be common that it does.

Are you sticking to one breast for multiple feedings, then expressing a little out of the unused breast and switching the pattern?

Julie,
    Hopefully yours does settle down, but my daughter is 3 months old and I still have times where I almost spray her right in the eye. Hah! Poor thing. Her whole face is covered sometimes b/c of me. We make a mess together. My problem is only with one breast and I have found that if I am extra careful about nursing frequently off of that breast, then the force is a lot weaker. For some reason, I think my right breast fills up a lot faster then the left. Who knows if that's normal or not. I don't look lopsided atleast. My advice, always keep something super absorbent around to soak up the mess.

Thanks for the replies...

DS is coming up on 15wks now so I thought it would have regulated by now. I have been block feeding since wk8 but only just read about increasing the block if the supply doesnt settle so I have increased the block in the past few days - more for one side than the other (5hrs on the right!)

Anyway hopefully it will resolve in the next week or so as the fussing DS does (coming off & on all the time) can be really uncomfortable

Thanks again, julie x

I've heard that milk supply normally regulates by 3 mos., but that for oversupply (those of us who *need* it to regulate!) it can often take between 6 and 9 mos. Sorry, don't recall the source . . . I've read soooo many oversupply articles on the web! I'll post a link if I run across it again.

Also, several been-there-done-that oversupply moms on other BFing forums I've visited have said around 6 mos. was when things got better for them.