Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore and red

Question sore and red

My left breast is very sore and the skin is pinky red in patches, especially underneath, and I feel like I'm coming down with flu. I think it started because I only fed my son on the right this morning before I went to work...but there's been lots of days when he only feeds on one side in the morning and the other side in the afternoon without any problems, so I don't know why this time it would cause a plugged duct. And I'm not even sure if that's what this is. I had a plugged duct before (when he was 3mths) and I knew exactly where it was, in a very contained area and there was a hard lump. This time it's more like a general soreness. Does anyone have any experience/advice? Thanks.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Default Re: sore and red

I had a plugged duct. From what I read it sounds like you have mastitis. Of course I don't remember where the pages I read were. One of the great mommas who helped me out will probably stop by and give the link to you.

Sounds like it might be time to call your dr.

Yes- definitely sounds mastitis-y. Until the antibiotics start to kick in, here are some of the recommendations from Mothering Magazine's article "Triumph Over Mastitis." (I finally found the article- DD had ripped the magazine about to shreds and eaten bits!)

-apply heat to the affected area of the breast
    -gently massage hardened areas in the shower or bath under warm water
    -apply poultice of cold, grated potato 2 or 3 times per day, remove when warm
    -use cold cabbage leaves to reduce swelling, replace when warm (but watch carefully- cabbage can cause reductions in milk supply)
    -breastfeed on affected breast first to minimize pain from letdown in affected tissues
    -reduce amounts of saturated fat and sodium in your diet
    -nurse with baby's chin pointing towards sore spot to get the affected area as empty as possible
    -nurse to completion on the affected breast to get it as empty as possible
    -hydrate
    -remain vigilant against recurrence, especially when baby starts to crawl and starts picking up bacteria from the floor

Hope you feel better soon!

I agree - sounds like mastitis.
    You poor thing, it can be horrid and it seems like rotten luck to get it at this stage doesn't it?
    There's some good info in this link
    http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org....n/mastitis.php
    Get well soon!

This is also a good resource. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html If you catch it soon enough and get enough rest you might be able to fight it off w/o antibiotics.

Smile Re: sore and red

Thank you all so much for your help, advice and links.

It feels much better today after a warm bath, expressing (pump's packed away in the basement), massage, heat and a good night's sleep. Also tried the 'different positions' approach and made my husband laugh letting my LO crawl all over me in the bed, latching on in positions I wouldn't have thought possible, one time even sitting on my shoulder! Still red and bruised-feeling but no longer hot, so I think I'm going to escape the antibiotics.

It does seem weird to get it at this stage, but my LO is teething and we've had nights where I nurse him 4 times and then nights where he sleeps 11 hours straight - that's got to do something to the poor breasts (and Mummy) who are trying to keep up with this ebb and flow in demand!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

This just happened to me, too, and since we've been breastfeeding for a while it threw me for a loop. It was also after about a week of a dozen sessions per night followed by a night a just a few, all on the same side (oops!).

I am glad you are feeling a bit better.