Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why can't they be equal?

Default Why can't they be equal?

Since I've been breastfeeding, now a month and one week, I can' t seem to make my breasts be equal. My son latches on to my left without an issue (sometimes I don't even need to guide him) always and I never feel too full on that one unless I need to feed him. But my right one is the problem. He rarely latches on right, and its not that I don't try but I don't know what else to try because I unlatch him and relatch him like ten times while he feeds on that one. What I always find is that my nipple either looks like a lipstick or is pinched and pointy looking. Additionally I'm always fuller on that side but not really engorged, probably because he isn't emptying it throughly by being latched wrong...

How can I get it right for the both of us?

Default Re: Why can't they be equal?

olivia always has preferred one side to the other. she is almost a year old and it has not changed. my left breast always produced twice as much as the left (measured by my pumping output). i tried to make my breasts have "equal" supply by always starting her on the right breast. instead of increasing supply on the right, i lost supply on the left. in retrospect, i wish i would have just let things be, and dealt with the slight 'imbalance' in my chest.

As long as baby seems like everything is ok, I would let go of some of the worry. Most women have a better performing breast.

I actually find that my left breast, even though it usually doesn't feel fuller like the right, has more milk -at least when I pump. I don't really mind it except that my nipple feels slightly sore from time to time b/c of his latch while my right is perfect. I just want the soreness to go away b/c I know that the way he sucks on it is the cause -I can always feel like he sucking too hard before I unlatch him to try to relatch him..

Honestly I worried avout that for a while....But now my lo eats out of my left side probably half as much as my right. I gave up trying to force him to eat on that side. So usually it's just when he's really tired. I wouln't worry about it. If it really bothers you, you could try pumping on that side when he gets done eating to kind of stimulate more milk. But if he doesn't drink from that side as much you'll probably just end up with the same problem.

I have heard mom's call this "slacker boob" he boob that produces less than the other. I too have this problem and mine switches from side to side... don't have much advice on this one... maybe try hand expressing b4 giving him the "full" one...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I have a slacker boob. I get less out of the left when I pump, and I notice that my LO nurese less on that side as well.
    I agree with the pp's - if baby seems fine, then I wouldn't worry. Since BF'ing is all about supply and demand, your body should even itself out in the long run.
    Try using the lanolin cream on your nipples. When I first started nursing, I used that (still do) and it seemed to help keep them supple and less prone to soreness.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Thumbs up Re: Why can't they be equal?

Thanks ladies.

I think I figured it out though. I bought a new boppy, my old one sucked! And I'm so happy with this new. It even helped babykins get his latch on right on my right breast. Thanks for the feed back.

I will be trying the lanolin.