Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF 101 Question-so confused!

Default BF 101 Question-so confused!

I am almost embaressed to ask this question.

Am I supposed to be feeding 15 minutes (or so) on one breast and then switching sides to do another 15 minutes (or so?)

OR do I just let her feed on one breast until she's done and pulls off?!?!

I am just getting over mastitis and am afraid to let a feeding go by without emptying both breasts for fear of getting too engorged again, so I've been switching mid-feeding.

Any advice is welcomed....

Default Re: BF 101 Question-so confused!

Sorry, I don't know much about mastitis, but I have always let my son feed on one side until he pulls away. If he wants to nurse some more I would switch sides. Hopefully someone who knows a little better about your situation can help more.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

in the beginning i was obsessed with the 15 minute block of time i was told an infant should nurse for on each side. i would sit with a clock next to me so that i could time the nursing sessions. olivia never nursed for that long. ever. in the beginning she would comfort nurse for long periods of time while she dosed off, but that is a different story. i just nursed her until she pulled away.

LLL suggests that you completely drain the first breast that baby is on, in order to insure that it gets the fat rich hind milk. By allowing baby to stay on the first breast until finished you accomplish this goal.

As far as the second breast goes and mastitus, you can always offer the second breast once baby pulls off. Sometimes they pull off once the milk flow slows down.

are you getting engorged?

I usually offer both breasts, but that is after he has drained the first one, then I give him the second.

Thank you for the replies....I did exactly what PP did and literally sit there with the clock until 15 minutes went by....that would be bad because sometimes I couldn't get her to latch back on and she clearly wasn't done eating yet! I just interrupted her!

Yes, I am getting engorged because she usually goes 4 hrs between feedings. So if I feed at 8am on right, noon on left, it isn't until 4pm that I'm ready to feed on the right again! Is that too long to go between draining a breast for someone who is 'prone' to getting mastitis (only had it once)??? Is that too long and will diminish the supply?

Thanks again everyone, your replies are really helpful!!

How old is your baby? You can hand express a little, just to give you comfort.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Nurse on the first side until LO pulls off, then offer the other side. If LO does not want it and is happily full, start with that side the next time. If you fear that you are getting to full and are worried about engorgement, you can always pump the other side for some freezer stash.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I'd pump and save. You can store breastmilk in the freezer for up to 3 months. It may come in handy if you and hubby want to get away for a few hours, then you have stored bm for the baby.
    I wouldn't go that long without pumping if you were afraid of getting infected again or losing your supply. Remember, your breasts go on supply and demand. If nothing is demanded, your supply could suffer.

i let my little muchkin (who is now snoozing on my lap, what a cutie!) finish on one side first, then offer her the other. she can spend anything b/w 10 mins to 50 min nursing/sucking.

since you go so long b/w feedings, i'd definitely be pumping.