Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spit up thru nose??

Default Spit up thru nose??

My daughter is 1 1/2 weeks old, this is my second. My first daughter never spit up, but this one spits up all the time. Tonight spit up came out her nose and mouth at the same time...is this normal??? My husband and I were kind of worried right away cuz I never heard of that happening?

Also, is there anyone else who's kid only nurses on one side at each feeding? My daugther only nurses on one side and only nurses for like 10 min. Sometimes she'll even go like 4 hrs before eating again. Last night she ate at like 3 and than didn't wake up until 830! I am happy I got the sleep but worried she's not eating enough. U'd think I wouldn't be as paranoid with my second

Default Re: Spit up thru nose??

congrats. This is very normal and as long as it doesnt continue for too long she should be fine. I also nurse on one side. completely ok. my lo is 4 months. are you feeding her lying down. that usually caused it for me. You may want to try and elevate her somehow. Is your letdown fast or forceful? if so you can collect it in a cloth and and then continue to feed hth
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

My LO has done this too and it scares me to death.

Usually happens when I am burping her. I think its fairly normal.

This happened to me twice and freaked me out both times! But DS seemed find after and wanted to get right back to nursing.
    mom to Robert Giovanni born June 20, 2007.

Don't worry, it seems to be normal for some babies. My little guy did it too and it totally freaked me out. And I was pretty much a one side at a time feeder for a few months, but he eventually needed both sides at a feeding to get enough. Enjoy the break while you can!

My son spit up out his nose too. He had reflux (GERD), and he would spit up so much that it just couldn't flow out his mouth fast enough, so some came out his nose. As he grew bigger, the nose spit up stopped (thank goodness!). Breastmilk boogers are just as gross as regular boogers.

Quote Originally Posted by MOML View Post
    My son spit up out his nose too. He had reflux (GERD), and he would spit up so much that it just couldn't flow out his mouth fast enough, so some came out his nose. As he grew bigger, the nose spit up stopped (thank goodness!).
    This happend to us as well. Scared me to death the first time that it happened!

My baby is 10 days old, and can be normal for them to do that, she has done it a couple of times lately but I'm not worried, she has also for the past couple of nights had her last feed between 12/1 and not woke till 7.30 which i think is great for the age she is but she is gaining weight good up to now.