Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sucralose

Default Re: Sucralose

More thanks for the help!

When we're out and about, she gets water. I just give her milk when she goes in the high chair, which is 5x a day, for 3 meals and 2 snacks. I do think it's important for her to get all the fat from milk, especially this early in the game. Thank you for all of your awesome suggestions. I just have so much on my plate as it is, I still feel overwhelmed with having to prepare her lunches to freeze and all the daily housework and errands and whatnot else...
    One thing that really helped me save time when DS#1 was little, was when I started feeding him the same food that DH and I ate. He started at about 9 mos, after refusing jarred food at that point. It was much less work than even buying jarred food.

DS#2 has always eaten the same things that everyone else in the family eats. In the beginning, that meant that I always had to cook veggies with little or no salt and we had to salt on our plates if we needed it so baby wouldn't get too much sodium. It also means that I can't buy things that have tons of sodium or msg or preservatives or junk, but honestly, that stuff isn't any more good for DH and I than it is for the kids.

What I usually do, is when we make dinner, I make enough for lunch the next day for the boys and I. For instance, tomorrow for lunch we'll probably have last night's spaghetti leftovers with steamed carrots, peas, green beans and corn and garlic bread. I also keep fresh fruit on hand, and the boys will get fresh fruit for a snack etc. Then, at lunch time, I heat everything up, and dish up plates. On the days we don't have leftovers, we will do sandwiches and a veggie and a fruit and maybe crackers making sure we add the cheese. Even for breakfast, we all eat the same thing, so I'm not having to make extra meals for the youngest one. And remember, spices are good for lo's...just not too much sodium, though at 1 year, I think they can have more than they could at 6 mos.

The only drawback, is that we adults had to eat much healthier than we were used to, but it is a big advantage to have the meals ready from leftovers, and to not make several different lunches for all of us.

I also recently decided to set a strict routine for my day since I'm homeschooling DS#1 for Kindergarten now, and part of that meant that I scheduled in a specific time limit for how much cleaning I do during the day every day. For me, it was 1 hour in addition to throwing clothes in the washer and clearing the table and putting dishes in the dishwasher. It doesn't seem like alot, but it gets the job done, and it makes life easier to have a time limit where after a certain point, you MUST put down the mop, LOL.

Rusalka...

http://www.buythebullet.com/

It's basically a blender that you blend in cups instead of a big blender thing.. (brain fart).

It's not bad. I unfortunately haven't made much use of mine -- but that will likely change now that we are moving somewhere with counter space!!! It really is quick. Just a few taps for a second or two each and things are fairly well blended. Never tried to make a smoothie with it, but I believe smoothies was one of the things advertised about it.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Quote Originally Posted by RME View Post
    THere are a few alternative all natural sweeteners. You could check the whole foods store in your area and see if they have a chocalate syrup with one in it. THey would at least have one without high fructose corn syrup in it which is what most things are sweetened with. Real sugar is better than that as well.
    Hershey's syrup is mostly hugh fructose corn syrup if I remember right. I've never tried the black strap molasses thing but isn't it also high in iron? Might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    A Magic Bullet is a little blender. I have one and I love it because it's small and works pretty well but FTR, it is NOT more quiet than a regular blender. And it doesn't work better than a good blender but it's small and convenient and gets the job done!
    I really like my Magic Bullet and you can make smoothies in it really easily with minimal cleanup. You just put whatever ingredients you want in the Magic Bullet cup, screw on the "lid" with the blade, and pop it onto the base. "A delicious smoothie in 10 seconds or less!" Haven't you ever seen their infomercial?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    One thing that really helped me save time when DS#1 was little, was when I started feeding him the same food that DH and I ate.
    That's another thing. Sophie only has 2 teeth still. I can't give her anything that she can't slobber or smash into mush yet. At least I am afraid to. Another thing is that we don't make meals regularly. We usually "fend for ourselves" so to speak, but I make stir-fries and things out of the fresh foods we get, tofu and veggies etc. When I make something I feel is safe for her to eat, she gets some. But sometimes we just have bowls of cereal for dinner and she can't quite gum up the granola yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I've never tried the black strap molasses thing but isn't it also high in iron?
    I'm thinking about trying it. I read on a vegan website that it's a really good source of calcium, I think. I forgot to mention earlier that there are no whole foods or anything like that around here. (That I know of) I really wish there were a nice market like that but it's too far to drive just for grocery shopping.

You could stir some milk in the granola and heat it up for her, if you want to make the consistency better for her.
    I think black strap molasses is available at the regular grocery store, but I'm not sure.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    That's another thing. Sophie only has 2 teeth still. I can't give her anything that she can't slobber or smash into mush yet. At least I am afraid to. Another thing is that we don't make meals regularly. We usually "fend for ourselves" so to speak, but I make stir-fries and things out of the fresh foods we get, tofu and veggies etc. When I make something I feel is safe for her to eat, she gets some. But sometimes we just have bowls of cereal for dinner and she can't quite gum up the granola yet.
    Would you feel comfortable doing some cautious experiments? True chewing doesn't happen until much later when LO get molars. Until then alot of "chewing" uses those incredibly hard bony gums. Sophie may surprise you with what she's able to eat with those 2 teeth!

Having a LO has definitely made my & DH's meals more regular and healthier! We don't always manage to pull it off - but do try to sit down and eat with DS so he can learn eating & trying new foods from watching us and also learn the fun social part of meals. Often if DS encounters a new food he'll want one of us to take a bite first and demonstrate that its ok to eat. I feel like one of those King's food tasters from the medival times . I've also found that DS is more likely to willingly eat and eat more if we're all eating together and eating (as much as possible) the same things. DS actually gets pretty if we're eating things he can't have, so I try to only eat foods that I can share, even though DS may not want any more after that first taste. You should see the fit he has when I get an iced coffee (decaf) and don't let him take sips from my cup. I give him his own straw to play with and drink it down pretty fast!

This has been a big change from DH and I previously grabbing food on the run and eating on the couch while watching TV, but it's been a positive change. Both DH and I grew up with having "family dinner" and have good memories so we want to be able to do this with our DS.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    True chewing doesn't happen until much later when LO get molars. Until then alot of "chewing" uses those incredibly hard bony gums. Sophie may surprise you with what she's able to eat with those 2 teeth!
    Isksam took the words right out of my mouth! Both of my boys only had 2 teeth until well after they were a year old. Late teething runs in the family, LOL. In fact, DS#2 only had 2 teeth until he was 14 mos., when he got 6 within a week, and now at 18 mos., he only has the top and bottom 4 in front.

I found out (after being scared with DS#1) that pureed or completely mashed food really isn't necessary after a certain point. For us, that was about 8 mos. with DS#1 and DS#2 both. They actually were eating regular table foods mashed with a fork until they got their first 2 teeth, and then it became a tiny bit chunkier. They both ate meat at about 9 mos. or so, (maybe earlier with DS#2) also. When they started with meat, it was generally well cooked soft chicken in small pieces that I seperated the grains a bit so they could still pick it up but not get it stuck in their throats.

By about 9 mos., they could both eat whole green beans (soft cooked and about an inch long) and similar texture and size veggies, like halves of carrot rounds...or thirds if they were big, banana thirds, most kinds of pasta, ground beef (as long as it wasn't meatball size) and similar size and shape types of things as well as most kinds of crackers (which I didn't need to break up unless it was a low sodium triscuit..those are really pokey on the edges) plus cheerios and other similar cereals....and very thin slices of apple and chunks of canned fruits or fresh fruits.

I know its scary, but teeth really aren't necessary for chewing effectively. In fact, its interesting to note that real grinding of food doesn't even occur until after the molars come in, and when there are just 1 set of molars, its not even as effective as when the 2nd set comes in at closer to age 2.

The big no no foods for choking are these though: hot dogs (unless split and cut into non chokeable pieces, NOT just cut into rounds), grapes, unless skinned and sliced, raw carrots(they can break off into big chunks and get stuck) I do not feed those foods to the kids when they're little AT ALL. Oh, and sometimes bread and peanut butter can be a choking hazard as well because it can form a sticky ball. But most parents don't give their kids nuts or nut butter until after age 2, so its not as big a deal.