Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sucralose

Default Re: Sucralose

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Thank you for your help! As you know, my concern was whether it's safe or not, and if there is any evidence that it might not be then I'm not comfortable giving it to her. If there is a health risk involved that exceeds the minuscule risks of sugar in moderation, then I'll take the real sugar. Thanks for the tips, I'll do some research.

FTR, she does also eat full-fat yogurt everyday. I'm not concerned about dairy itself as I am about hydration and weight gain. I want her to drink [at the very least] 16 oz per day; but I don't want to give her water or juice instead of milk included in those 16 oz, because I feel she needs the fat right now, her weight gain really slowed down since she began to walk.
    Since you're after weight gain, then I'd suggest the following as an alternate drink so you don't have to do chocolate milk every day...we all like variety, and sometimes with kiddos, they start to dislike things that they have every day:

whole milk
    whole strawberries and blueberries or raspberries
    banana
    a few ice cubes
    Throw it all in a blender and she could drink it with a straw....and you could save the leftovers in the freezer for later. Plus, she would probably really have fun tossing berries and ice cubes and banana in the blender, which turns into a really fun teaching experience anyway regarding learning words and colors and names of things.

Plus, I think there's a special kind of oil you can add to smoothies like that...maybe flaxseed oil? I'm not positive, but someone else around here might know...

Just to clarify, I am not using the chocolate for calories or weight gain. I'm trying to use adequate amounts of whole milk for weight gain, for which I am considering tiny amounts of chocolate in an effort to get her to drink more whole milk. The smoothie idea sounds delicious, but the blender terrifies her if she's on the same floor with it when it runs. I'd rather not add ice to whatever she's drinking either, as it would add the amount of liquid she needs to drink and I have enough trouble getting her to drink just a 4 oz glass. It doesn't have to be chocolate, just something that'd make her want to drink it, KWIM?
    Last edited by JustSasha; September 18th, 2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

THere are a few alternative all natural sweeteners. You could check the whole foods store in your area and see if they have a chocalate syrup with one in it. THey would at least have one without high fructose corn syrup in it which is what most things are sweetened with. Real sugar is better than that as well.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Just to clarify, I am not using the chocolate for calories or weight gain. I'm trying to use adequate amounts of whole milk for weight gain, for which I am considering tiny amounts of chocolate in an effort to get her to drink more whole milk. The smoothie idea sounds delicious, but the blender terrifies her if she's on the same floor with it when it runs. I'd rather not add ice to whatever she's drinking either, as it would add the amount of liquid she needs to drink and I have enough trouble getting her to drink just a 4 oz glass. It doesn't have to be chocolate, just something that'd make her want to drink it, KWIM?
    I totally didn't think you were doing the chocolate in order to help with weight gain...I was just thinking smoothie, since it was something you can make from whole milk...which I knew was what you were after. One other thought I had was that maybe you could puree and freeze berries and bananas and then stick them in the freezer in an ice cube tray. That way, you could do up a bunch at once when your DF is watching your lo so she wouldn't be scared of the blender. Then, when you want to make a smoothie, you could just pull out a couple of fruit ice cubes and let them thaw a little bit and stir it into the milk.

Another thought though, is that its generally considered healthier to be getting a majority of your liquids through straight H2O. I know this is what our ped. recommends above all other beverages. You get the best hydration that way. We filter our drinking water or do bottled waters if we're out and about.

I know you're worried about weight gain, and it sounds like your lo doesn't drink much in the way of liquids, but maybe instead of pushing the milk, it would make sense to try to back off on the milk and offer straight water all throughout the day in a sippy or straw cup that she can tote around with her. Those cups are fun, and with water, you don't have to worry about icky spoiled milk spills or warm milk. Water is also a much better thirst quencher.

Then, it might actually make it easier for you to focus on adding higher good fat content solid foods to her diet. Like the yogurt you're doing...you could add cheese, and good proteins and carbs, and you might find that you're able to control it a little easier, kwim? Because if you're offering milk with all her meals, and focusing on higher good fat foods, but not worrying about her drinking too much water (which is necessary anyway), it might make things easier on you and better for her.

With my experience with my boys, it took them awhile to really become accustomed to cow's milk (it's really nothing at all like breastmilk, LOL), but since I was planning on nursing longer, it never became an issue for us. We just nursed as they needed to, and served cow's milk with meals and we didn't worry about it since they were getting calcium and vitamin D from other sources....ok, I guess I did worry about it a little with DS#1, but not with DS#2, after I realized that DS#1 did learn to drink cow's milk as long as I was gentle with continually offering and didn't try to force it.

DS#2 is now 18 mos. and still doesn't drink much cow's milk, but he gets calcium and vitamin D from other sources, as well as lots of healthy fats and nursing too.

Have you considered mixing cows milk with breast milk? I don't know if it is possible or if twould even taste that good... but if I were having that problem with my little one (she's only 4 months at the moment) then I would look into that.

That way you can slowly get her accustomed to the taste of cows milk (which tastes SO MUCH different... I know) and she's still getting good old mommy milk, too, in moderation.

If she doesn't like the blender, have you thought of one of those magic bullets? You don't need to use it much to get it to blend and it's not as loud.

Also, have you tried just mixing strawberries in with it, and no ice cubes? Or even bananas? You can mash the bananas by hand and if you have to the strawberries.

I don't know, I'm just rambling.

Good luck.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Sugar, not sucralose .

And, our doctors have told us on more than one occasion not to offer water or juice at all--but to give whole milk and encourage that (we aren't nursing anymore at all now ). I am certainly not of the mindset that dairy is a requirement for health, but it is an easy source of calories and nutrition, and fighting weight is no fun at all.

I listened to the part about juice, because, well, we have never given her much juice anyway and I know it to not be that great. I still offer water, though, because its a HEALTHY habit. She is drinking about 12 oz of milk and eating 3 oz. of yogurt a day. I have no idea how her weight gain has been over the past 2months .

You could also use something like Carnation Instant Breakfast (except don't but that kind because its Nestle) to get her to drink it. It has sugar, but it also has protein and nutrients. Its not "natural" but our doctor suggested it in lieu of pediasure. I used it for about a month, and it got her drinking 12 oz, and we cut it out altogether. I bought the vanilla kind, so she didn't get used to brown milk. Now she likes just plain old milk!

ETA: I should add that I never mixed it with the milk according to the package directions. I added a TINY bit to make it a bit sweeter. You can also add it to smoothies, for some flavor, if you want. Another thing that worked is adding some homemade jam or jelly (or low sugar--which is how we make ours) to milk in a blender and making flavored milk yourself!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    Those cups are fun, and with water, you don't have to worry about icky spoiled milk spills or warm milk. Water is also a much better thirst quencher.
    When we're out and about, she gets water. I just give her milk when she goes in the high chair, which is 5x a day, for 3 meals and 2 snacks. I do think it's important for her to get all the fat from milk, especially this early in the game. Thank you for all of your awesome suggestions. I just have so much on my plate as it is, I still feel overwhelmed with having to prepare her lunches to freeze and all the daily housework and errands and whatnot else... Preparing fruit to prepare smoothies to get her to drink milk sounds like something I'm not yet organized enough to take on. Unless I can think of a way to fit it into the lunch making schedule, which is fit into the cleaning schedule, etc. There's only so much I can do while I'm alone with Soph, so there is a LOT to catch up on when I'm not. I'll def give it a try though. As far as the milk goes, well, it's not that she won't drink it, its just not very easy to get her to take enough of it when its plain. She never finishes it, and I know she drinks much less than when she BF, which bugs me.

Now I know to steer clear of artificial sweeteners at least

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    If she doesn't like the blender, have you thought of one of those magic bullets?
    I have no idea what that is!

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Another thing that worked is adding some homemade jam or jelly (or low sugar--which is how we make ours) to milk in a blender and making flavored milk yourself!
    That's such a good idea! I never would have thought of it, you can get it so easily with no added sugar.

here's some info from kellymom.com about other ways to get cows milk into LO diet:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html
    If your child is not nursing regularly and is not allergic to cow's milk products, but simply doesn't like cow's milk, you can incorporate milk into your child's diet in other ways. Many children like cheese, whole-fat yogurt or ice cream. You can also put milk into various food products: pancakes, waffles, muffins, French toast, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and baked goods.
    Before we found out that DS has milk & egg allergies - I had been planning on making lots of yummy things like quiche, strata & fritatta all loaded down with lots and lots of whole milk & cheese.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

A Magic Bullet is a little blender. I have one and I love it because it's small and works pretty well but FTR, it is NOT more quiet than a regular blender. And it doesn't work better than a good blender but it's small and convenient and gets the job done!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion