Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sucralose

Default Sucralose

Heya... I am curious if sucralose ("Splenda" artificial sweetener) is safe for toddler consumption. It may not be the ideal as far as natural or nutritious, but I'm concerned about the safety alone at this moment. I decided to put a tiny bit (like 1/4 the recommended amount) of chocolate flavoring powder in her whole milk in an attempt to get her to drink enough of it (we only nurse once a day) if I could find a decent kind. I feel it's better that she get milk with a tiny taste of chocolate mix than no milk! Well I bought some that has added vitamins & minerals and "no added sugar" however, the ingredients say it has sucralose. I know that Aspartame (NutraSweet) was considered unsafe for some people but I don't know about other types. Does anyone know? Thanks

Default Re: Sucralose

I remember doing a search awhile back on nutrasweet/aspartame, and finding info about splenda/sucralose right there on the same web page that indicated that it really wasn't completely safe. I think I posted the link to the anti-aspartame website in a post about the subject here. If I have time, I'll try to find it and post the link again, since my mommy brain doesn't remember the name of the website, LOL.

Personally, I'm not comfortable feeding the boys anything with Nutrasweet/aspartame or Splenda/Sucralose, and when I bought Kool-Aid singles awhile back for myself, because they said they had like 1/3 less sugar than regular kool-aid and I was trying to wean myself off of soda, I didn't read the pkg, and there's sucralose in them...I threw them away .

When I had done some research on sucralose, one of the things that really jumped out at me, was the fact that Splenda advertises that they make it "from real sugar", which is actually not true. Evidently, it doesn't start out as real sugar, its just molecularly similar or something like that, and there was a push to get the FDA to force splenda to remove that statement from their advertising.

OK...I didn't find the exact link I was thinking of in an old post, but here is another link: http://www.splendaexposed.com/ Obviously biased against Splenda, so I can't vouch for it, I've never totally checked it out.

Personally, with my kids, I don't feel bad about giving them limited amounts of sugar...providing its real sugar and only in moderation, and that they are getting a well balanced diet and exercising and all.

I personally (my own opinion, so it may not be right for you) would prefer to give a little bit of regular chocolate sauce in milk even if it did have sugar, because I would know that it wasn't an artificial sweetener (and not linked to cancer or weird diseases) and because I could control the amount I put in if I felt that my child needed to be drinking more cow's milk and wouldn't drink it straight. I might also try smoothies with whole milk and crushed berries and bananas and ice...or go the yogurt route as well.

Smile Re: Sucralose

when i was pregnant i researched to see if i could have splenda cuz i lived on decaf splenda tea everything said yes included my week tk week book. also, not that u can count on it but, koolaid advertises using it now.

Sucralose is sugar processed with lots of chemicals so I wouldn't give it to my baby and I don't consume it myself either due to BF. Why don't you sweeten your baby's milk with molasses? It is (both black strap molasses and grape molasses) very high in nutrients like iron too.

DO a search on this website. We had a conversation here about a year ago about it and the links provided seemed to me to be a definite NO. But you can do the research yourself. I believe P-T-M provided some excellent links. It was a very informative thread.

Way too lazy for formula

I would rather give my child sugar then sucralose. DF & I even avoid sucralose. It's another sweetener like aspartame. If you really want to add some chocolate to her milk I would suggest getting some with sugar instead. Though sugar can be addictive it is a much safer choice.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

My doctor actually made a point of telling us to avoid giving DS Aspartame type sweeteners until e was at least 6 years old. To me that would include any of the chemical sweeteners. I'd rather give him the real deal than processed anyways if it came down to it.

From the Splenda Website:

"The safety of sucralose is well documented in more than 100 scientific studies conducted over a 20-year period. In addition, sucralose and, specifically, the safety data on sucralose, has been reviewed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other national regulatory agencies, as well as by international health authorities such as the World Health Organization, and found to be safe for use by all consumers, including children, pregnant women and people with diabetes."
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Thank you for your help! As you know, my concern was whether it's safe or not, and if there is any evidence that it might not be then I'm not comfortable giving it to her. If there is a health risk involved that exceeds the minuscule risks of sugar in moderation, then I'll take the real sugar. Thanks for the tips, I'll do some research.

FTR, she does also eat full-fat yogurt everyday. I'm not concerned about dairy itself as I am about hydration and weight gain. I want her to drink [at the very least] 16 oz per day; but I don't want to give her water or juice instead of milk included in those 16 oz, because I feel she needs the fat right now, her weight gain really slowed down since she began to walk.
    Last edited by JustSasha; September 18th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.