Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump brand advice??

Default Pump brand advice??

I ordered an Ameda Purely Yours and just recieved it today, since I ordered it I have had several people recommend the Medela Pump In Style Advanced instead..... Has anyone tried these 2 and know if one is really better than the other? I can return the Purely Yours if I do so in the next few days.
    Someone told me that with the Purely Yours you had to manually suck release? I am not sure what she meant. The one I bought is the new model with the adjustable rate and suction levels. I know it doesn't have the let down button like the Medela but I think I can just adjust the rate and suction myself to make this one do the same thing? Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks for whatever you can tell me, time is of the essence!

Default Re: Pump brand advice??

I have the ameda py and have been using it for 5 months. It works great--I don't know what it means to manually suck release, but I have never had a problem adjusting the cycle knob to account for letdown. It has served, and continues to serve, me well. I have never tried the PIS, but I am about to buy the medela minielectric to put in my backpack--I work out in the woods sometimes and need to have something a little less bulky for those occasions.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hmmm, what exactly does the letdown button do? I have the Ameda PY and not sure what you mean about adjusting the cycles to account for letdown? Please explain

There is a control for cycles. With the PY, you turn the cycles to the max (faster, shorter cycles) to get the milk to flow. After a few minutes when it's flowing, you can turn down the cycles so the milk comes out in slower, longer cycles.

I have used both the PIS and PY, and they both are great pumps. The PY is easier to clean, and I like the fact that the milk can't get into the tubes. The plastic on the PIS is slightly softer/more comfortable.

I have the PISA and find that I can fully express in about 8-10 minutes. I like that it's highly recommended amongst people in the medical profession. I also heard that they have a really good warranty, and that they'll sometimes waive the one year thing with special circumstances. You could have rented them to try prior to buying. Although it's not too late now. Good luck!

I have the Medela PIS, and it works like a DREAM. I work full-time, and therefore do a lot of pumping, so it's nice to have one that works so well.