Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "preparing" tofu

Default "preparing" tofu

I want to give DS tofu, but I've never prepared it before. Does it need to be cooked? Heated? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: "preparing" tofu

My DS likes tofu any way it comes--small chunks still cold from the fridge, in a curry, baked tofu in a stir fry... He is almost two, in case that matters.

All this to say try a bunch of different ways. I would start with the easiest way--small bits straight from the package. Soy is an allergen, so be on the lookout for any reaction or sensitivity.

Have fun! Yum, I love tofu!

I just dice up the cold tofu out of the package. DS is the only one that eats it. I make sure to buy the non-GMO, 100% organic tofu.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I got this idea from the Super Food Baby book and DS loves it. You get some Oaties or Cheerios and crush them up into breadcrumb sizes. You dice the tofu in small pieces and put them into the crushed cheerios (I use a ziploc bag and shake it all up). The cheerios coat the Tofu. Ds loves this. He will eat Tofu any way but the cheerios make it easier for them to grip and taste yummy.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Are you guys using the super firm, firm, or soft??

BTW: How much of a choking hazard is tofu?

I tried the crushed up cheerio thing a couple of times and we ended up with a huge mess!

I don't think he actually ate any of it.

Any recommendations on how to prepare tofu for sending to daycare??

Just cubes?

To make cereal-covered tofu sticks, here's what I do:

- start with firm tofu
    - cut slices about 1/2 inch thick
    - put tofu slices on clean towel or paper towel, cover with towel, and put something heavy on top to squish out extra water; let sit for 10 or 15 min or so
    - slice tofu into sticks, toss in bag with crushed cereal to coat

I think that getting rid of some of the extra water helps eliminate some of the mess factor, but you need to leave enough moisture so the crushed cereal sticks.

If you are marinating tofu, this technique for removing some of the water seems to work well. Remove extra water, then put tofu in marinade. The tofu seems to absorb more of the marinade (like a sponge sucking in water).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I usually offer extra firm tofu, diced, with some puffed millet. The millet absorbs a lot of liquid and sticks to the tofu to make it less slippery.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Lightly mashing firm tofu right form the package with a fork works for us. This might be esiest for daycare as well.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the ideas. This is really helpful!

I have a couple more questions:
    - What is GMO?
    - Is tofu considered an allergin due to soy or other reasons? DH does have a cow's milk allergy but is fine with soy.

Thanks again!

GMO - Genetically Modified Organism. Food crops in the US are commonly genetically modified to provide more yield, to be insect-resistant, etc. There is still no hard data on the long term effects of consuming genetically modified food products. Here is some more info on the subject if you're interested: Genetically Modified Food

And, yes, tofu would be considered a possible allergen because it's a soy product. Just watch your LO for a reaction as you would with any new food, and if he's fine then you're good to go!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.