Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump parts and bisphenol-A

Default Re: Pump parts and bisphenol-A

Hi april213, thanks very much for your perspective. It's very true that we need to look at the big picture of everything we put in our babies' environment and try to minimize risks as much as possible. It's easy to focus on one thing at the expense of another.

I think I have found a good middle ground: I switched to Playtex drop-ins and will continue to use my pump but with Medela collection bottles, and will store the milk in Lansinoh storage bags. That's more disposable waste that I had planned on, but I will look for glass or BornFree bottles as well. I have always been very conscientious about cleaning bottles and pump parts, and will keep doing so!

Babies dying from commercial baby food is downright reprehensible. I do use jarred organic food on occasion, but usually prepare my own food or just feed him whatever we are eating.

I find time and time again that I am constantly making concessions between convenience and safety, whether it's bottle feeding vs. exclusively nursing, bacteria vs. chemical cleaning products, cloth vs. disposable, organic food vs. less expensive non-organic, etc. etc. There's a comfort zone that everyone needs to find, don't you agree?
    Sarah
    mommy to Liam, born 2/15/07
    14 months of breastfeeding and counting!

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert

Quote Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
    There's a comfort zone that everyone needs to find, don't you agree?
    Definitely! We all have the well being of our los at heart, regardless of different approaches on limiting hazards etc. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is that we're all working hard to give them breastmilk!!! Yay for us! I truly believe that will make more of a difference than anything else.

All of this stuff is SCARY when you look into it! And I still don't understand why it's so @#$% expensive to switch to healthier, ecologically friendly products. My latest kick is household products .

Quote Originally Posted by april213 View Post
    And I still don't understand why it's so @#$% expensive to switch to healthier, ecologically friendly products. My latest kick is household products .
    ITA! I hope as consumers become more environmentally conscious it will increase demand for healthier options.

I use a spray bottle of white vinegar in place of the harsh surface cleaner I used to use, and baking soda instead of scrub cleanser, at about a tenth of the price. I heard tea tree oil is a natural disinfectant as well.
    Sarah

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert

I use an Ameda Purely Yours and the pump parts and milk collection bottles all seem to be made of the same clear hard material, but I can't find any markings that would tell me for sure. Does anyone have any info? I am looking for the customer service to call them and ask.
    Did customer service give you any info? I use this pump, too, but I use Playtex bags or drop-ins to collect the milk (there is an attachment that makes this possible if you get the Playtex storage kit).

Quote Originally Posted by RomansMomma View Post
    Did customer service give you any info? I use this pump, too, but I use Playtex bags or drop-ins to collect the milk (there is an attachment that makes this possible if you get the Playtex storage kit).
    The breast flange and collection bottles are made of polycarbonate, but they stand by the FDA's determination that polycarbonate is approved for use in baby bottles. The customer service agent I spoke to quoted the FDA's statement over the phone.

She also said that they recommended using plastic storage bags for storing the milk, and further suggested that if you are concerned to use bags or other collection bottles that fit.

Can you tell me more about the attachment kit? I just started using Playtex drop-ins.
    Sarah

Another cloth convert

I know I wasn't asked, but I have seen the Playtex pump attachment kit at BRU if that helps.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

forgive my ignorance... what is BRU?

NEVER MIND... I just figured it out... Babies R' Us, right?
    Last edited by satchmo; September 20th, 2007 at 12:07 PM.
    Sarah

Another cloth convert

yep, that's right.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

The breast flange and collection bottles are made of polycarbonate, but they stand by the FDA's determination that polycarbonate is approved for use in baby bottles. The customer service agent I spoke to quoted the FDA's statement over the phone.

She also said that they recommended using plastic storage bags for storing the milk, and further suggested that if you are concerned to use bags or other collection bottles that fit.

Can you tell me more about the attachment kit? I just started using Playtex drop-ins.

Thanks for the info...I suppose the milk isn't in too much contact with the flange and using the drop-ins or bags seems safe.

You can get the Playtex milk storage kit and it comes with one screw on top that fits the flange part on top and the Playtex bottles on the bottom. If you want more than one, you have to buy two kits I think. They are the ones with the blue tops, you can also get it at amazon... "Playtex One-Step Breast Milk Storage Kit includes 4 sealing disks, 4 nipple rings and one pump adapter"