Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump parts and bisphenol-A

Default Pump parts and bisphenol-A

Hi everyone, I recently learned about the bisphenol-A present in the polycarbonate Avent bottles I've been using for 6 months and discarded them all in favor of non-polycarbonate bottles this weekend.

However, now I'm worried about my breast pump. I use an Ameda Purely Yours and the pump parts and milk collection bottles all seem to be made of the same clear hard material, but I can't find any markings that would tell me for sure. Does anyone have any info? I am looking for the customer service to call them and ask.

Thanks for your help.

( Who else is PISSED that they didn't hear about bisphenol-A dangers earlier??? )
    Sarah
    mommy to Liam, born 2/15/07
    14 months of breastfeeding and counting!

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert

Default Re: Pump parts and bisphenol-A

I am rather soured myself!!!
    Here is a good link I found....perhaps there is info. in there that can answer your question. HTH and keep us posted!!!

http://www.newbornfree.com/Default.aspx?pid=3417

*NOTE...yes it is a link to a particular bottle maker, but you will find many many many headlines and sub stories covering Bisphenol-A.
    Last edited by RooS MummY; September 17th, 2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo

chazzi, thanks for the link!

Bisphenol A leaches from baby bottles with regular washings, even if the bottles are not heated.

Oh, that's just great. </heavy sarcasm> I have been careful to wash my pump and bottles in hot water, and for the first few months I sterilized my pump parts according to manufacturer's instructions. Now I'm afraid even to wash them at all!
    Sarah

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert

It helps to not wash pump parts with antibacterial soap, but rather with regular dishsoap, and avoid the dishwasher.
    My opinion? The pump parts themselves are probably not a huge deal because the milk is only passing through, not actually being stored in them. And unfortunately there don't seem to be BPA-free alternatives for those. I would also say that, if your pump parts begin to look cracked or worn at all it might be time to replace them.
    However you don't have to use the Ameda collection bottles. FYI the Medela collection bottles fit the Ameda pump and I believe come in BPA-free. I think you can get them at Target or lots of places.
    I lucked out. I did not know about BPA until recently either, but we had been using the Playtex nursers with the liners, which are a safe alternative, out of sheer dumb luck.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi mollyb, thanks for the suggestions. That's good to know that Medela bottles fit the Ameda pumps. I am thankful that I've mostly been using Lansinoh milk storage bags instead of the collection bottles. I already replaced my original pump flanges because they cracked. I did try the plastic bottle liners early on, but they leaked and I decided in favor of washable bottles because they seemed less wasteful for the environment.

That's just what irritates me most, you think you are doing the right thing (e.g. washing and sterilizing bottles) and it turns out you are possibly doing more harm than good!

All of this makes me realize I'd much rather deal with bacteria than chemicals and pesticides. People get all crazy about sterilizing everything their baby comes into contact with, but don't give harmful chemicals a second thought. My SIL is a germ freak and sterilized her kids' toys, but when she passed them on to me, they showed damage from being melted! No way I want my baby mouthing that! I've discarded most of my cleaning products and now use a spray bottle of vinegar to disinfect the house.

It's amazing that I never questioned any of this before!! Having kids changes your life in so many ways!
    Sarah

Another cloth convert

That is a very good point! I think the antibacterial craze has become out of control, too.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We are using Evenflo glass bottles. No worries about BPA there. Although daycares won't let us take the glass bottles, so we will have to figure something else out in January when she has to go to daycare . I was thinking of bringing the articles about BPA to the daycare director so they can understand our rationale behind not wanting to use plastic!!!

Dishwasher is the worst way to wash any plastic -- too hot and lets those chemicals leach out!

Another scary thing about BPA is that it seems that it affects reproductive systems!

YIKES! !
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I don't have a dishwasher, so I wash all of my pump parts and bottles by hand. It's a big pain in the tush, but now I'm glad for it. However, I turn the water as hot as possible when washing them. Now I don't know if I should use just warm water or even cold.

I'm stuck here, I want to make sure the pump parts get clean, but I don't want to expose the milk to more BPA. Which is a bigger risk? Are pump parts really in danger of becoming a breeding ground for bacteria? Doesn't breastmilk have antibacterial properties?
    Sarah

Another cloth convert

IMO, the risk of contamination due to bacteria/yeast is much higher than the risk of BPA in the milk. Bacterial infection could give you impetigo or mastitis, it could hospitalize or even kill your baby. Thrush(yeast) could give them terrible diaper rash and make your nipples so sore you might not be able to nurse. The BPA *may* have effects on hormones (it's reputed to mimic estrogen), but the biggest risk is when the milk is sitting in a storage container for extended periods of time where it can leach into it, not from the pump parts. If you are really stressing over this, buy a Medela pump so you can use Medela pump parts, which are BPA-free, and use the glass bottles or bottles that are lower in BPA. With all the other things in the food we eat, the air we breathe, the water we drink, I think BPA is only one among thousands. For instance, I'm much more concerned about the additives in commercial babyfood than I am about the BPA, I mean, ingredients from China in babyfood actually killed several babies, BPA is not going to kill your child. You have to pick your battles.

If anybody's looking for a BPA-free plastic alternative (such as for daycare) check out the link provided above. BornFree is one example.
    Wow, I didn't know Medela's pump parts were BPA-free!

Molly