Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think I have raynaud's phenomenon

Default I think I have raynaud's phenomenon

So I've been getting this excruciating pain in my right breast after feeding. Originally I thought I had thrush because it was this burning tingling pain. It got so bad, I had to take 3 doses of Motrin whenever I felt the pain. I had the ped check out my baby to see if he had thrush, had the lactation consultant look at my nipple to see if I had thrush, and we both checked out negative. After a little online research and a confirmation from my lactation consultant I think I have raynauds phenomenon. Has anyone have it or had it before? If so, how did you treat it? Online information says that you can take a medicine called Nifedpine. Some mothers opt out on taking meds and end up just pumping until baby is done breast feeding. The pain is so bad that I don't want to keep having to take 600mg of Motrin every time I nurse. I don't know if I should just take Nifedpine or give up breastfeeding and just pump.

Default Re: I think I have raynaud's phenomenon

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkyminky View Post
    I don't know if I should just take Nifedpine or give up breastfeeding and just pump.
    I just wanted to give you a big . I don't have any experience with what you're going through, but I do Exclusively Pump and know a lot about pumping. Whatever you decide I just wanted you to know that if you "just pump" that is no way a measure of your success with breastfeeding. In fact I think it's an indication of just how committed you are to your LO!!! That you would be willing to pump and not just give formula is AMAZING!!!

I have reynauds but it hasnt caused much of a problem during bfeeding. Only one side shows it at all. My nip turns very white after feeding. I have a tiny bit of pain associated with it but nothing major.

Its a circulation issue. Just try to put something warm on your nip after feeding. You may want to chat with a lac consultant too to see what other tricks she advises.

I am lucky, my raynauds shows up in my fingers only in the winter time.

Wow! You have a wonderful committment to breastfeeding!
    Have you considered only BF on the L side? You can make enough milk for baby on one side only most likely. Mothers with twins do this, so I bet you could too. If your pain is only on the R side, then maybe try your best to alleviate the pain (the meds, or warm compresses, etc) but if it doesn't work, use the other side exclusively.
    BTW, be careful with nifedipine. I am a RN, and have given it before. It can cause your blood pressure to drop very quickly (esp. if you use the kind that goes under your tongue and is fast acting). If you have high BP, it prob. isn't an issue. Talk to your Dr. about this though, as everyone is different.