Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about first feedings

Default Question about first feedings

Hi, I havent posted in a while and now have some questions. When I went to the doctor for Landons 4 month check up the doc said I could start introducing solid foods if I wanted. Landon is a big boy and apparently met all the criteria to start on solids. I chose not to start him yet really. I have let him have little bites of things, but have not made meals out of anything yet. I didnt feel he (or me for that matter) was ready for him to be on big boy food. Now Landon is 6 and a half months old and the doc again mentioned letting him start on solids. Is this for nutritional purposes or just to learm. I dont like making meals out of baby food for him yet if I dont have too. He is such a great nurser (never had anything but breast milk) that I feel bad trying to force real food down him. Should I start like one meal a day of solid food? If so, what foods? I have one other questions. I live in Arizona and it is HOT!! Should I introduce a sippy cup? What should I put in it? Breast milk? Water? Watered down juice? He gets so hot in the back seat I almost feel like he should have something to drink if he wanted. Oh and what kind of sippy cups are best for a breast fed baby? Sorry for all the questions... I just have no idea what to do! I want what is best for my baby. Thank you so much in advance for your advice...
    Christine

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Question about first feedings

I think for the first year babies only need BM in terms of nutrition. solids are really a learning experience.

as he's still going to be BF, i've heard he doesn't actually need water as long as he's fed on demand - i've he's thirsty, he'll feed for a little while. but again the sippy cup is a learning experience - let him handle it himself, you'll get a few spills, but he'll get there. give him cooled boiled water. no juice - he'll come to expect water to taste sweet.

have you thought about BLS? it'll increase the learning for him and means you don't have to make baby food. (that's what we're doing!)

When we started DS on solids we did one meal a day and started with veggies. Squash, carrots, avocado, sweet potato, etc. The whole idea is not to force them: if their hungry they start opening their moth like little birds for it. If you do BLS then they play with it 'till they get it in their mouth and figure out how to get more in on their own. Its ok, to give water at this point, especially with the heat, it will probably help keep your baby from getting constipated to although if you nurse a little before offering him solids that should help as well. Can't recommend any sippy cups: DS never did any without a straw.

DLS?? What is this?

oops BLS?

I have the same questions!!! My DD is just 2 days younger than Landon!
    We started her w/cereal a week ago, just 2 tbspoons a day and she does awesome. She is sill nursing but I would like her to try new things... I am not sure what or how much and how often
    Help!

TIA

Married to the love of my life Eric! 10-11-03
    Mommy to Erica! 03-05-07
    9 lbs 8 oz and 22 inches!!!
    for 2 years!!!
    Mommy to Andres! 05-12-10
    9 lbs 10 oz and 21 1/4 inches!!!
    and hopefully for another 2 years

BLS is Baby Led Solids. Here is a page with info. It is ideal for BFed babies because they are already used to controlling how much they eat!

Solids the first year are supposed to compliment breastmilk, not replace it. We do solids once a day most days. (We just traveled this weekend and I didn't bother.) For us it has been messy and fun. There are a lot of sites e.g.: Dr. Sears, kellymom, that have suggested first foods. You should give a few days 3-4 between foods to allow you to check for allergies. If you give your LO 3 foods the first day and he gets a rash you wouldn't know which food caused it.

So far we have introduced bananas, avocado, sweet potatoes, cooked apples, and cooked carrots. I give DD fist sized pieces so she can feed herself. She will also feed herself with a spoon (if I put the food on the spoon) which makes me more confident that she is ready to be eating things. It is super messy but she loves everything we have tried. It has been really fun. I skipped the cereal because most of it has added iron which interferes with the absorbancy of iron in breastmilk and because rice cereal has calories but not much nutrition. It is recommended as a first food frequently because few babies are allergic to it.

If you are interested in reading more I would try:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/16sta...lid_foods.html
    Last edited by noodlenerd; September 17th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.