Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very eager nurser! Ouch!!!

Default Very eager nurser! Ouch!!!

My 3 day old is a very eager nurser and my nipple has a bruise and is now cracked. I tried a nipple shield but can not get through the pain even with that. Should I pump this breast until healed and let him just nurse on the other? Will that affect my milk supply?

Default Re: Very eager nurser! Ouch!!!

I'm afraid I can't help much, as I am looking for an answer to this question too. My baby is 2.5 weeks old, and both my nipples are in such a bad state I have been pumping for the past 24 hours. I had lactation help from day 1, but it can still be hard to get a good latch, plus my baby is tongue-tied. So all I can suggest is to see a lactation consultant to make sure the damage to your nipple is not from a faulty latch. She will also be able to tell you whether your baby is tongue-tied - apparently this is what has caused the majority of damage for me. If need be, it can be corrected. (First thing on my agenda today!)

I hope this helps a little.

Default Re: Very eager nurser! Ouch!!!

The PP gave you good advice- see a lactation consultant ASAP! A bad latch is a very likely cause for a cracked nipple. If you don't figure out how to fix it, you can spend a lot of time pumping and healing, only to have things go back to square one the next time you put your baby on that breast.

You can pump until you are healed and let your baby nurse on the other breast. If you need to bottle-feed the pumped milk in order to make up the deficit, make sure you always offer the breast before the bottle. That way your son won't forget how to latch on!

Some moms have no trouble with supply while pumping, but your milk supply can be affected if you have trouble removing enough milk. That's something that can happen if you aren't using a good pump. A LC can rent you a good pump if you don't already have one, which is another reason to go see her!