Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: B infection

Default B infection

I have a 101 fever but not much soreness just a little. Nurse called in some Keflex? what should I do about nursing? I am worried I'll make her sick.

Default Re: B infection

Keep nursing! You will not make your baby sick by feeding her. Also, not nursing could be bad for you- you need to get the infection out, instead of leaving it in to fester, and nursing is the best, most effective way to empty the breast.

Check out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

I wonder if its because I started bf on both sides b/c Dr. thought she might not be getting enough but she weighs healthy. Should I go back to one side at a time? Or could it be that I pump one side at different times? Or only one side a day?

Why does your doc think your baby might not be getting enough? Is she peeing/pooping sufficiently? Gaining nicely? Happy and contented? Meeting her milestones? If she's all those things, then she's likely getting enough.

Neither beginning to use both breasts at one feeding nor pumping seem likely to me to be the cause of your infection, unless that led to a lot of engorgement. It could be just bad luck, or a poor-fitting bra which gave you a plugged duct, or it could be that you're a bit more susceptible... Mothering Magazine had a good article called "Triumph Over Mastitis" in the Mar-Apr 2007 issue. It had some really good tips.