Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth marks on nipples!

Default Teeth marks on nipples!

OK ladies, ds is now 12.5 months and all of the sudden nursing, many times through out the day is pretty painful! This is strange to me BC I feel like I have had a pretty easy time nursing him. Sometimes when he comes off there are teeth marks on my nipples. He does not take a paci or any bottles, just a sippy cup through out the day. I am finding myself encouraging him to nurse a shorter time when I am feeding him bc it really is sore. I do take him off and try to re-latch him, sometimes this helps but then the soreness comes back? Anyone else had this? Any ideas? Thank you as always!

Default Re: Teeth marks on nipples!

Yes, this also happened to us. After months of carefree nursing, I suddenly started to get sore spots from DS's teeth. I think it started when he was a little under a year, once he had two top teeth. For us it seemed that when he was teething he would change his suck a little, and would also want to do more comfort nursing. A couple of times I actually ended up with cracks that took quite awhile to heal. Unfortunately, I don't have any great advice to deal with it. However, it does seem to just come in phases, and each time he went back to nursing normally after awhile and it stopped hurting. So, maybe try some different positions and just wait awhile and it should get better.

We had this happen and I found a couple of things helped. The first thing we did was go back to latch and I would get my son to detatch and reattach until we found a more comfy latch just like when he was a newborn. The other thing I found helpful was changing his position- I found going back to a tummy to tummy position, like with a newborn, quite helpful. Our positioning had gotten so casual and as he moved around he would slowly slide down the areola and onto the nipple causing him to need to put more pressure on the breast to get any milk. I also talked to him about the fact that when he moved around that it hurt so if he was moving I detatched him. He soon figured out to stay still and the stage passed. I hope any of that helps.
    Sarah

Thank you both! I am sure that you are right, this too shall pass. He is really teething pretty good right now so I bet that is the problem. Thank you again!