Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping more than she eats

Default pumping more than she eats

I just started pumping and giving EMB in bottles. My LO is 5 weeks and I've read that she should be taking about 2.5-3.0 oz at a feed. She has been eating every 2.5-3hours. So I've given her 3.5oz in a bottle, thinking that she will leave behind some milk, but she nearly always finishes it.

After her bottle, I go pump, and I often pump 4-5 oz! (I wait for 2 letdowns, since this is usually what she does.) Is this the amount of breast milk she would have eaten at the breast? It seems like a very large amount of food, but I can't think of why I would be able to express so much milk if she hasn't been asking the boobs to make it?

Should I be giving her more milk in the bottles? Has anyone heard of a 5 wk old taking in up to 5oz?

Default Re: pumping more than she eats

5oz may seem like a lot for a 5wo but hard to say w/o knowing weight & height of your LO & how many feedings you are doing per day. If she's taking it, it may be just fine for your LO provided you don't force her to finish the bottle. Sometimes when bottle feeding we have a tendency to overfeed b/c we want to see LO finish the bottle.

My ped recommended 4oz every 3-4 hrs for my 8wk old (who is now 18wks & taking 6oz every 3 hrs at daycare, 12 lbs, 24.5". I exclusively bf when home).

Babies may overeat when taking bottles b/c its easy to suck down. If you see your LO spitting up, it may be b/c of too full of a tummy.

At 5 wks your body is still adjusting to the milk production. FREEZE any extra milk b/c chances are you'll be going thru a growth spurt soon & you'll feel like you're dried up during the spurt. (look for the breastmilk freezer bags. Target sells in the baby aisle. Most brands are decent)

If you plan to exclusively pump, you may feel like you're over producing at times but if you are a working mom, you may feel like you are drying up if you pump exclusively unless you pump every 2 hrs...at least that has been my experience. HTH

Check out some of the previous posts of this pumping section of the forum for other pumping ideas/Q's. very helpful.
    Last edited by Morgan's Mom; September 16th, 2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo

I would definately freeze any extra. I have about 40 7 oz bottles in our deep freeze right now and I have a feeling I will be using them very soon. Currently my son (8mths, 20lbs, 30+in long) is taking 4 oz about every 2.5 hrs. From what I have gathered, he is not a big eater.

I would think that because you are pumping after eating, you are signaling your body to produce more, so it is. Again, freeze it because as the pp said, there will be times you feel like you don't have enough.

Thanks for the responses....

We have a doctor's appt tomorrow, so I'll be able to find out how much she weighs and how long she is. We think she's about 11 pounds -she's a big one! She takes about 8 or 9 feeds each day, depending on whether she takes an extra one at night.

I just don't want to feel like I am not giving her enough milk in the bottle. It seems like she cries after every bottle, and I am not sure if it is because she wants to comfort suck, or if it is because she is still hungry. I've increased her bottles to 4 oz, and she still cried this morning.

I hope we can get this sorted out before I have to go back to work!

Thanks!

I always have more milk in the mornings, is that when you're pumping? Mine ate about 4oz from a bottle at that age. I'd wait and see what she does at daycare before you go for much more than that. I pumped a lot more than what they ate up till they were about 3 months old. She may just be fussy b/c she wants to nurse while you're around. Are you planning to exclusively pump? If not, then you only need to give her a bottle once a week or so to make sure she'll take it, not every day.

Well, we had a 5 week check-up.
    She weighs a WHOPPING... 12lb 11oz. and 22.5 inches.

She is off the charts! I am glad that she is healthy, but it does confuse the feeding issue.

I asked the pediatrician about how much EBM I should be giving her. He said normally 4 oz for 8 feedings a day, but he suspected she was eating more than that. His suggestion was to put 5-6 oz in a bottle and see what happens.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this? I thought that babies would overeat with bottle feeding -pretty much eat whatever is in the bottle? Plus, she loves to comfort suck, so I am worried she will just suck away at the bottle.

The 5oz pumps have been in the afternoon. Strangely, I've found that I have a much higher supply in the evenings, and I struggle to pump in the morning -I stay on the pump much longer in the am; it's harder to get letdowns, and I often have to use compression to make 3 oz. But this afternoon, I pumped 5.5 oz without even trying!

Anyone else out there with big babies and have any experience with EBM?! I would really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Mystery solved, your lo is simply a big girl, she likes her mama's milk!Every baby is different, you have to trust that she knows how much to eat for what her body needs at this age. You are probably producing that much milk b/c she is drinking that much, I'd follow your peds recommendation as long as you're pumping enough for it. I have a friend whose lo was off the charts like that in the first few months, but has leveled out to about 50th% as she approaches the 1-yr mark. Her baby was above average weight at birth. Mine jumped from the 10th to the 50th and 75th % in the first couple months, which is huge for twins. But the one that was originally in the 75th% has dropped back to 50th% as she's gotten older. Bf babies tend not to gain weight as quickly in the second part of the first year.

That's funny you get more in the afternoon, just goes to show you every woman is different too!

Thanks for the reply! We'll have to move up to larger bottles, and more millk. It's reassuring to hear that from another mom.

It's a good thing we didn't buy too many 4oz bottles.

I've been cramming 6oz into the 5oz bottle for a while now b/c we bought so many, but the most one of mine has ever taken at a time is 5.5oz, and that's gone down as they eat more solids and like the bottles less and less. They prefer to cluster feed in the am and pm when I'm home now instead of drinking much from their bottles. I suspect Madeline is going to want more than 6oz by the time she's 3-4 months old though! You are going to have a very active little girl once she gets on the move, she's got to be tanking up on milk for a reason. I've met a mom whose baby was all chubbed out up to a year then he decided to focus on running everywhere at top speed and didn't gain any weight for the longest time. I also met a 4 month old little boy who was off the charts but ALREADY sitting up! Your lo has plans for that fat, you'll see.