Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Issues...Not sure what's causing what? Pls help!

Default Issues...Not sure what's causing what? Pls help!

About 5 days ago we deducted that I have a strong letdown and overproduction. My 5 wk old was gulping and pulling off crying, only to aggressively try to latch back on and then repeat the whole process. He would spit up a bit and burp a lot. He was moderately fussy. The LA at our pediatrician's office suggested pumping on one side for a few minutes before bfing my baby to get past the strong flow. This has helped. My baby started nursing 15-25 minutes on a single breast each time w/ much less aggitation.

Now he has a runny nose and a lot of extra saliva. The saliva is pooling in his mouth and is thick, bubbly, and stretchy. This started last night. I don't know if this is a new symptom of a cold or connected to our bfing issues... Possibly a food sensitively. He nursed every 2 hrs last night for only 10 or less minutes each time. Today he has nursed less than that. Do you think this could be a food intolerance or symptoms of the common cold? I will call the doc tomorrow, but I am worried about it now.

Thank you for your insight.

Erin

Default Re: Issues...Not sure what's causing what? Pls help!

I have no idea about the saliva issue. I would imagine that it could be related to a cold or allergy. Here's some info on allergies and breastfeeding:
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep97p75.html

You mentioned having a lot of milk and pumping before nursing to make it easier for your ds to nurse. I would not recommend pumping nursing. This only compounds the problem (remove more milk=make more milk). I would suggest following the tips outlined on this page:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

HTH!

Thanks for your response and for the links.

I guess we just won't know if it's a cold or allergy for a few days. In the meantime, I guess I just worry and pray.

I am also concerned w/ perpetuating the overproduction w/ the pumping so I'm pumping one side for abt 2-3 minutes and then bfing on that side for a few feedings and then switching. I have to pump off the beginning though or else my little one gulps, cries, and spits up. I don't really know what else to do for now. I'm hoping that by alternating sides every few feedings is getting the msg across to slow down some. Now, of course, w/ my baby not eating very much at all today, I worry abt the lack of nursing and stimulation. Maybe, just maybe, it will all even out soon.

This is hard.

Erin

Thanks for your response and for the links.

I guess we just won't know if it's a cold or allergy for a few days. In the meantime, I guess I just worry and pray.

I am also concerned w/ perpetuating the overproduction w/ the pumping, so I'm pumping one side for abt 2-3 minutes and then bfing on that side for a few feedings and then switching and pumping that side once and using it 2-3 times in a row. I have to pump off the beginning though or else my little one gulps, cries, and spits up. I don't really know what else to do for now. I'm hoping that by alternating sides every few feedings it's getting the msg across to slow down some. Now, of course, w/ my baby not eating very much at all today, I worry abt the lack of nursing and stimulation. Maybe, just maybe, it will all even out soon.

This is hard.

Erin