Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when and how

Default when and how

Hey, when do you start to add seral, rice, or oatmeal to the bottle?

Default Re: when and how

Why do you want the cereal to be in a bottle per se? You should be able to offer solids by bowl/spoon method when they are ready to begin. Most pediatricians suggest waiting until your infant is atleast 6 months (if there are no known food allergies in the family) before beginning solids, which include rice and oatmeal. At that age, their gut is more mature and able to tolerate solids. Also, they should be able to sit unassisted, and they have lost the tongue thrust reflex, which means they do not push out the food with their tongue as a reflex. Additionally your child will begin to immitate you when you are eating and grab for your food when they are ready.
    IMO you do not need to begin with cereal, but rather more nutritional foods such as sweet potatoe or avocado. They are good ones to begin with.
    HTH and best wishes!!!

You should not add anything rice cereal, oatmeal etc.. to their bottles. Babies only need there mother's milk and nothing else for at least the first 6 months. There little bellies aren't able to digest cereal or other things properly until 6 months. I agree with the PP in saying that your baby will show you when he/she is ready for solids. Dr. Sears has a great chapter in his website about why to delay starting solids and the benifits of waiting. I don't know how to add a link onto here but it's Askdrsears.com and then find where it talks about delaying soilds. Hope this helps.

Here's a great resource on starting solids and here's another... (and please don't add anything to baby's bottle )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I'm not going to add anything....

I'm new to being a mom and never had any experience with babys before. My son is 3 months and totally breastfed. My neighbor (her son is 5 months) said that she was adding ceral to her babys bottle when he was 3 months old and has my husband convinced that it's the thing to do. I just wasn't sure, my husband asked the peditritian and he said that in a month or so you can.... Now, I wasn't there so I don't know exactley how my husband worded it to the doctor and how the doctor really replied. I will be going to his next appointment though.

Well.. I was just curious. My mom said that she was giving me ceral in my bottle when I was a month old. ANd even though I know that 1 month is WAY to early I didn't know when a good age to strat out would be.

Yeah, it was the thing to day back in the day... but they're finding it's not such a good idea...

Good listening to your gut
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.