Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is going on...need help

Unhappy What is going on...need help

Okay, since yesterday dd2 has been not nursing like usual for her.

She normally feeds 15min one breast and if really hungry 10min on the other breast.

But then yesterday she started 10min a one side and was happy for 3hrs or so. It was about 10min most of the day after 12pm then it dropped to a 5 - 8 min. snack to fall asleep or whatever was going through her head.

Last night and this morning still the same. When she does eat she will spit up about a 1Tbsp of milk that is both liquid and curds.

I try to get her to nurse and she just wiggles around breathing really heavy and then getting mad. She will lick the nipple but that is all. I try to force the nipple (which I think is wrong) and she will gag or take a few sucks and then spit up.

I know she is hungry but what am I to do. My mil thinks it is my milk. I am lost.

Is this a nursing strike? I am going to supplement today and pump when dh feeds her but I need to find out what is happening before tomorrow. I will be home alone with all three kids and not knowing what is going on...KWIM

TIA
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: What is going on...need help

wait - don't supplement yet!!!!

how old is she now? babies change as they get older. is she having enough wets/dirties? is she acting like herself? i amk sure your milk is fine.

my lo can will occasionally eat from both sides, but usually nurses for 3-5 minutes and is done. LOs get very efficient at removing milk so 5-8 minutes might not be a snack it might be a meal!

Quote Originally Posted by raline View Post
    wait - don't supplement yet!!!!

how old is she now? babies change as they get older. is she having enough wets/dirties? is she acting like herself? i amk sure your milk is fine.

my lo can will occasionally eat from both sides, but usually nurses for 3-5 minutes and is done. LOs get very efficient at removing milk so 5-8 minutes might not be a snack it might be a meal!
    She is five weeks as of yesterday. She has been sleeping more and longer actually. I feel more engorged and she has not probs latching when I am engorged she then softens the breast up under 10min and is happy.

I am so confused.

OH!!! Then after a nap of 1hr - 2hrs or longer she will be hungry again. She poops just find actually less than usual and she pees boy does she pee.

Do you think maybe she's just becoming a more efficient nurser? Could she be sick? Or changing her sleep pattern? to you... I REALLY don't think it's your milk. If anything, your milk is BEST for her. I think you should just follow her cues. She knows when she's hungry! Counting wet and dirty diapers can accurately tell you if she's getting enough. But if you're really concerned, try weighing her before & after a feeding to see how much she's taking in.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

i don't think there is anything to worry about. Here is what I think: your baby is growing and as such her needs are changing. Your body will adjust to what she needs. If you supplement you will be interfering with that process and then you will have another post, more desperate, asking for help. I think it is especially hard for you to relax and go with the flow b/c you have 2 babies already, but since they were FF they were different, so this is all new. What is happening now with your dd is NORMAL for BFing. Relax and enjoy your baby! :good vibes

This young and getting into her swing. I now the nurses at the hospital said she was a natural.

So, should pump? I am worried blockage and stuff.

When Henry was three weeks old he started nursing MAX 5 minutes per feeding, just one side. He would eat about every 2 hours. Some babies are just that efficient. Just watch those diapers and if the baby is happy you'll be fine!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Her poop went from nice yellow this morning to a green this afternoon. She also just did about 5min of nursing and then 5min where she was asleep but still took a few sucks and then rested took a few more and rested. I just put her in her swing with hope she will sleep for an hour while the other two are down.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    Okay, since yesterday dd2 has been not nursing like usual for her.

She normally feeds 15min one breast and if really hungry 10min on the other breast.

But then yesterday she started 10min a one side and was happy for 3hrs or so. It was about 10min most of the day after 12pm then it dropped to a 5 - 8 min. snack to fall asleep or whatever was going through her head.

Last night and this morning still the same. When she does eat she will spit up about a 1Tbsp of milk that is both liquid and curds.
    She is five weeks as of yesterday. She has been sleeping more and longer actually. I feel more engorged and she has not probs latching when I am engorged she then softens the breast up under 10min and is happy.
    Then after a nap of 1hr - 2hrs or longer she will be hungry again. She poops just find actually less than usual and she pees boy does she pee.
    This is all very normal! Over time, babies often become more efficient at the breast. It's not at all unusual for a baby to take in a full feeding in 10-15 minutes or less! As long as your baby is still having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, you can rest assured that she is getting enough.

Here's some info that might reassure you:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/normal.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

I try to get her to nurse and she just wiggles around breathing really heavy and then getting mad. She will lick the nipple but that is all. I try to force the nipple (which I think is wrong) and she will gag or take a few sucks and then spit up.
    It's best not to force. It's fine to offer, of course, but if baby refuses my best suggestion is simply to wait and try again later.

I know she is hungry but what am I to do. My mil thinks it is my milk. I am lost.
    Your milk is FINE. The change in nursing pattern is normal.

Is this a nursing strike? I am going to supplement today and pump when dh feeds her but I need to find out what is happening before tomorrow. I will be home alone with all three kids and not knowing what is going on...KWIM
    It's not a nursing strike, as your baby is still nursing. There is no need to supplement as your baby is having plenty of output (from your description above).

Remember: Watch the baby, not the clock!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Have you called your local LLL Leader? She would be a great source of information and support.