Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To avoid pureeing meat...Veggies high in Protien?

Default To avoid pureeing meat...Veggies high in Protien?

Do you think I could smash up garbanzo beans and other veggies high in protien?? I hate the idea of the jar food meats, ICK!! I do have a food mill but don't think that makes it small enough for a little one (5mo) Perhaps I'll look into getting a baby food processor or something...

Default Re: To avoid pureeing meat...Veggies high in Protien?

Unless your baby has be tested and has low iron you don't need to worry about meat yet. Breastfed babies usually have enough iron stored for the first six months, and continuing exclusive bfing until 6 months helps with that. Introducing other forms of iron (like iron-fortified cereal) actually prevents your baby from getting the most iron possible out of the breastmilk.

We started offering small pieces of chicken around 7 months I think. Beans could work too... though for some they are an allergy risk. By 6 1/2 months henry was eating cheerios which have some iron. He had a blood test at 9 months and his level was fine. I'd get tested before you worry about introducing meat yet!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I just reread and realized you are more concerned about protein. Here's something from Dr. Sears about proteinhttp://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t044400.asp#T044405)
    What are the best protein foods?
    Perhaps the fairest and most practical way of rating protein foods is to look at the amount of protein in relation to the total calories in a food. The following chart will show you how to get enough protein without overdosing on fat.

Protein Food Grams of Protein per serving Percentage of calories as protein Fish, tuna (4 oz) 25-30 83% Egg white (1) 3.5 82% Cottage cheese, nonfat (1/2 c.) 15 75% Poultry, breast, no skin (4 oz) 25 75% Kidney beans (1/2 cup) 7 60% Tofu, firm (3 oz) 13 45% Yogurt, plain nonfat (1 cup) 12 40% Beef, lean (4 oz) 30 40% Egg, whole (1) 6 33% Milk, 1% (8 ounces) 8 32% Peanut butter (2 tbsp.) 8 17% Cereal (1 cup) with 1/2 c. milk 6-8 17% Nuts or sunflower seeds (oz.) 7 16% Pasta (1 cup) 7 15% Whole wheat bread (1 slice) 3 15%

THE MOST POWERFUL PROTEINS
    Some proteins are more powerful than others. What makes one protein more powerful than another is not only whether it contains all the essential amino acids, but how many different amino acids it contains. That's why nutritional scientists use the Protein-Energy Ratio (PER) and Biological Value (BV) ratings of proteins, which measure how well the body utilizes amino acids in a protein. Here's how the main proteins rate (from highest to lowest) by how well they are utilized in the body.

Whey protein (the lactalbumin extract from dairy proteins found in protein supplements; also the predominant protein in human milk)
    Egg white
    Fish
    Dairy products
    Beef
    Soy
    Legumes (e.g., beans, lentils)

Of course, egg whites and dairy and soy are all allergens, as well as legumes for some people. And I don't think they suggest fish or beef early on either. And no nuts or seeds or wheat... so many proteins are allergens and your baby is so young! By 9 months you could try yogurt and cottage cheese.

You'll notice whey protein is top of the list. To me that means breastfeeding will ensure enough protein for your baby. You will want to make sure you are eating enough too of course.

Bottom line: 5 months is early for solids in general, and definitely too early for mostly all of these foods!

Is there a reason you're worried about protein for your baby?
    Last edited by fergie830; September 16th, 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added link

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I think I'm going to just stick to the EBF, since it's just safer for his health to wait it out until he is a bit older. I just wondered about that sort of thing.

My dd's going to be vegetarian until she decides she wants to try meat... Quinoa pasta makes a good finger food AND it's a complete protein.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    My dd's going to be vegetarian until she decides she wants to try meat... Quinoa pasta makes a good finger food AND it's a complete protein.
    Where do you find Quinoa pasta, and can you tell me how you are manageing her protiens in other ways? I have a 3 yo who will only each chicken sometimes other than that she won't touch meat, so I'd like to help her out too

Quote Originally Posted by mommymarla View Post
    Where do you find Quinoa pasta, and can you tell me how you are manageing her protiens in other ways? I have a 3 yo who will only each chicken sometimes other than that she won't touch meat, so I'd like to help her out too
    Sorry for the late response... I just saw your question. I get the Quinoa pasta from Whole Foods. It's this brand:
    http://www.quinoa.net/Quinoa_Pasta/quinoa_pasta.html

She'll occasionally get some tofu, but otherwise i don't have any good ideas. She's only 10mo, and still limited in the variety of food she gets... No milk, yogurt, eggs...
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!