Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I am a human milk factory?? Is this TOO much??

Default Help, I am a human milk factory?? Is this TOO much??

I started yesterday about noon, full on breastfeeding, trying not to bottle at all....

9/14/2007 11:56 PM left breast
    9/15/2007 12:30 AM right breast
    9/15/2007 02:30 AM right, left
    9/15/2007 03:30 AM 3 oz formula
    9/15/2007 06:40 AM left, right
    9/15/2007 09:00 AM left, right
    9/15/2007 12:00 PM right, left
    9/15/2007 01:30 PM left
    9/15/2007 02:30 PM right
    9/15/2007 03:30 PM left
    9/15/2007 04:30 PM right

seems like a LOT of BF to me, is this normal?? Baby is 8 days old. Prior to this I was mixing BM and forumula, but certainly more formula, are my boobs playing catch up?? They certainly feel the "emptiest" they have all week, even when she feeds, but she seems to be getting something.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Help, I am a human milk factory?? Is this TOO much??

Looks normal to me! Mine used to feed exactly every 2 hours those first couple of weeks.

I'm at every hour at this point

Yup this looks about normal to me!

I know it seems like a lot, especially if you log every time, but it will get better over time. Feeding on demand can feel like really hard, time-consuming work and its true that is does sort of tie you to the chair but it really is the best thing you can do for your little one. Their little bellies can only hold a very small amount so they need little amounts often. I believe its just a mind-set and the only way to not go crazy is to surrender to it and remember that it wont last forever! A sling can also be great as you can feed while moving around.

Hang in there, get a good book, or watch daytime tele for the next few weeks until your little one can go for longer stretches. Take advantage of the excuse!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

If you were giving LO formula is well as breastfeeding your body would have been making less milk because it wasn't getting emptied as often. Your LO will need to nurse alot for a few days to build your supply, like during a growth spurt. I was in the same situation when DD was two weeks old and when I stopped all formula she nursed NON STOP for almost two days It evened out after that, but what you listed isn't unusual for a newborn. Hang in there mama, it will get easier!

thanks guys

I know how you're feeling. After the BF classes I took and all the reading I was still completely unprepared for how demanding BF was in the beginning. It seemed as though DS was attached to me ALL THE TIME - and actually, he pretty much was.... DS nursed every hour (~20X in 24 hrs) for his 1st 8 wks. Exhausting, I KNOW!!! Some babies just require more time at the breast than others (whether it be for food or just comfort). Those first 2 mos are the hardest. This newborn stage is often termed the 4th trimester. Your LO had a warm consistent, soothing home for 10 mos. The 4th trimester is a transition time for your LO who is understandably shocked by her new surroundings.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

ok, so i'm not alone in feeling like this! how does anybody get anything done at this rate?

you would not think that something so little could put away so much food! When my ds was 3 weeks old, my MIL came to visit (had never been around an exclusively bfed baby) and when I would go to feed him every hour and a half or so, she would say surely he is not hungry...and of course he would eat like a champ...think about it this way: all the growing your baby will do is because of your love and commitment to giving the best - your milk is the perfect food and your arms the perfect place to rest and grow. Enjoy it because before long your lo will want to do a million other things all while nursing.... hang in there mama!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbokins View Post
    ok, so i'm not alone in feeling like this! how does anybody get anything done at this rate?
    you wear your baby...