Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: herbal remedies dangerous?

Default herbal remedies dangerous?

What do you think about this article? I have been drinking Mother's Milk Tea, but now am having second thoughts about it.

http://www.nobleharbor.com/tea/teahealth2.html

Default Re: herbal remedies dangerous?

I read the article. I looked at my box of Traditional Medicinals Mother's Milk tea. It does not contain comfrey root according to the ingredients.

The tea was recommended by my midwife.

I read the article too...i can't tell you how much i hate articles that start out with titles like Herbal Tea Kills Babies. that drives me nuts.

I think it's a bit alarmist. I think basically it's saying that just because something is herbal, doesn't mean you should take it. There are some herbs that can cause issues of one kind or another, but I think that fenugreek or the tea is perfectly safe in the doses that we take it in. If you are diabetic then you should re-think it and do it in conjunction with your doctor, but other than that, I am not seeing the reason for alarm.

I agree with the pp, they're blowing it out of proportions! If you read any BF book when it talks about Fenugreek it does talk about being careful and consult a doctor if you're diabetic (something that every diabetic is use to do) and it tell you that you might have loose stools while using it and to discontinue using it if you get diarrhea. I've around six BF books and all of them warned you about. A LC won't tell you to do something without having knowledge about it.

Unfortunately, this seems to be another case of Headline Hype. That is what journalists do best!

Dr. Lawrence is a leading authority on BF and after reading the article I don't believe she was intending to imply at all what the headline stated.

By the way, was this article in its entirity? It seemed to end rather abruptly and I was wondering if there was a page 2 or it was just poor writing.

When was this first published? There was no date, and I couldn't trace it back. Just curious!

The article was uploaded on 15-Nov-2000. Also, the website belongs to a company that sells teas (black, green, oolong, etc.), not herbal teas. So maybe they have something against herbal teas?