Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to introduce water now that we're starting solids?

Question Do I need to introduce water now that we're starting solids?

After starting Jack on Avocados and bananas, his bowels slowed WAAAAY down. Grunting, straining...no poop. I introduced Gerber prunes, which he gobbled up, and pooped about a day later (finally!)

My sister recommended letting him sip water with his meals now that we're doing solids, as a way to help his bowels keep moving. Is this necessary? I only do solids after we breastfeed. At what point should I be feeding him water?

Thanks!

Default Re: Do I need to introduce water now that we're starting solids?

I don't think it's "necessary" but if it seems like your LO is getting constipated, I don't see any problem offering water with meals. I do that with DS (he mostly just dumps water on the floor and laughs, but that's another story).

Also, avocados and bananas are EXACTLY what you would give a baby with diarrhea in order to slow down their bowel movements So the constipation isn't really a mystery, KWIM? Try including some fiber-rich foods as well (you could start with baby oatmeal), and I bet the problem will disappear.
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

Hi, I gave my 4 month old water here and there and she really enjoyed it. It seemed to help her poo too. So I would see if maybe it would help yours also. Its good practice for them. Anytime I have a drink of water my lo grabs for it and wants a sip too!

I gave my DD some expressed bm in a sippy, but she didn't really touch it. I started giving her sippys of water around 10 months, but she mostly just carried them around with her. She now occasionally will have a drink with her meals, but usually just eats, then drinks afterwards. HTH

I think my DD is the only child whose bowels are activated by banana! If your LO is having constipation problems, maybe mix a little bit of prunes in with his food.

I started giving my baby water when we began feeding solids because he would get really constipated. Now he's got into a great habit of drinking lots of water everyday. No juice, he prefers water.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1