Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixing BM and Formula

Question Mixing BM and Formula

Can you mix bm and formula together in a bottle? I'm concerned that my milk supply is low, and my LO is not eating enough lately. If I start to supplement feedings with formula, I'm wondering if I can combine an ounce or two with bm so my LO will still get the benefits from the bm with each feeding.
    Does anyone know if this is do-able?

Also, another question: Does a baby only receive the benefits of bm if they nurse for a minimum of 6 months? I was under the impression that the benefits started from day one with the colostrum.

Thanks!

Default Re: Mixing BM and Formula

i have mixed, never occured to me not too.... but i have a 9 day old lol

Why do you think your supply is low? At about 3 months you may just be having a growth spurt. There is a forum about low supply that may have tips on how to improve your supply. I have started eating oatmeal every day to keep my supply up.

Basically every day that you can supply BM (even if you are also supplementing) is good for the baby. The AAP recommends BFing only (no solids) for 6 months and then continuing to bf once you add solids.

And I would not mix BM and formula. I would feed the BM first and then give formula separately. Remember, if a child eats from a bottle a lot of times they will continue to eat even after they are full...so they may take a bottle of formula even if they are really done.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Why do you think your LO isn't getting enough? Are you talking about feeding both BM and formula in a bottle or nursing then bottle feeding with formula?

Any BM you give your baby benefits. The first days are quite crucial but all that matters is that babies get as much BM as much as we can provide. I am having to remind myself of this lately since I have to let my DD2 have formula when we're apart since I can't get enough pumped out for while we're apart.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I mix the two all the time.

I have been supplementing for about a week or so and I pump and mix the breast milk and formula. This way I know exactly how much she is eating. She was having a tough time keeping anything with her longer than an hour..I was nursing CONSTANTLY. She is now eating about every 2-5 hours and seems very content. And I am happy that she is still getting the benefits from the breast milk. I havent had any problem with a lack of supply but I had a major oversupply from the get go. If I do feel like my supply is getting low one day I may nurse her more the next day or pump an extra time or two.

I won't mix the two in one bottle together. Formula spoils much quicker then BM does. If your LO doesn't eat it all at once it could go bad and your BM is wasted.

Instead do 1 bottle with EBM and if your LO is still truly hungry (they will eat from a bottle whether hungry or not, suck/swallow reflex) then a seperate bottle with formula.
    Last edited by Jazzy's Mommy; September 15th, 2007 at 12:28 PM.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07