Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should i wake him up?

Default Should i wake him up?

You would think i was a first time mommy with all of these questions. It's a whole new life bf a preemie.

I started using the football hold and it's been going great. He is a very sleepy baby even during feed times. I have to wake him to eat. My questions...i have been waking him every 2-3 hours. Should i set an alarm clock at night or just wait for him to wake? I've been waking twice a night to pump while he is in the NICU. Not sure what to do now. As for nursing on demand..there is never the demand with him.

Default Re: Should i wake him up?

When they are that little, they are going to be sleepy and you just have to get through that time. Trust me, one of these days he'll become more wide-eyed and want to "nurse on demand".
    I would probably personally pump to keep that supply up, but if he's not awake, I would let him sleep. Maybe when he waks up he will be extra hungry from the long wait and chomp like a champ!

Is he gaining weight? Growing? Having plenty of wet and poopy diapers? If for any reason you're concerned about assuring he is getting enough, then it's probably a good idea to wake him at night, too. A four hour sleep stretch is usually considered the max at this stage.

I agree with Home Exec. I set my alarm to wake up every 3 hours when we came home. Sometimes he refused to wake up, but then I would set it for an hour and try again. He is only 3 weeks old now (corrected age) and nurses every 2 hours usually durring the day and sometimes goes 3-4 at night. It helps to change his diapers before I feed him, or sometimes I wash his face to wake him up. Keep checking for enough wet diapers.

Update? How are you doing?