Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rapidly decreasing supply

Default rapidly decreasing supply

Nursing was just way too painful so I've been pumping since the day I came home from the hospital with a PIS-A. At first I was only getting 1 oz every 3 hours, but eventually I was able to get 1 1/2 oz. Well here it is 2 weeks later and if I get 1/2 oz every 2-3 hours of pumping I'm lucky. I'm now not even pumping a total of 5 oz a DAY. I attempted to let her nurse again but she nurses for an hour on each side and with two other kids that's just plain out impossible to do especially with no DH around to help out.

What do I do about my supply? I really don't want to stop, but I've had no choice but to supplement with formula (but I'm still pumping if I supplement). This happened with my DD1 and I was told it was stress that caused me not to produce any milk.

I tried More Milk Plus but my DD was then throwing up (projectile vomiting, not spitting up) so I stopped that and she was fine, but I noticed my supply decrease when I was taking it. I drink more than 64 oz of water a day so I'm not dehydrating. I don't know what to do.

Default Re: rapidly decreasing supply

you could try domperidone

Have you tried fenugreek? It has worked for me with both girls. I took it in order to make a freezer stash. Something else that was told to me was that the skin to skin contact between mom and baby was important, that it helped stimulate the hormone that helps produce milk. And since you are not nursing directly that could be part of the reason of your low supply. Maybe you could lay with the baby in bed, skin to skin or hold your lo skin to skin when the other kids go to bed. Good luck! There are many others here who can offer more advice I am sure. But again, the fenugreek worked wonders for me, almost made me produce too much milk!!

Could a friend/neighbor/aunt/church group come help for a few hours a day? Not forever, just while you get your supply established. I wish I could come take care of your other kids for a while so you could rest with your newborn!! One of the hardest jobs for me as a mother is to ask for help with something that I could have easily done on my own before...

congrats on the baby. your lo is still so new, are you dead set on ebm. If so you may want to invest in a hospital grade pump. These pumps are designed to increase supply where others are designed to maintain supply(unless you are combining the pump with direct breastfeeding. Many insurance companies will pay some of the cost and most hospitals rent them. I had to exclusively pump for a while and I rented a medla symphony and it rocked. I found that pumping was a lot more work then tapping from the source. Initially it was very painful for me as well, much of the reason I chose to pump, however within a few weeks I was pain free. HTH good luck.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Some great advice given to me was wearing my baby, and I was able to feed her in the sling. Although every baby is different the hour long feedings will subside soon.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Congrats on your new lo! I remember those days trying to juggle nursing all day and night and trying to take care of my toddler aswell. My dh was gone alot so I was left alone to do everything by myself. With my 1st lo my nipple's got extremely painful (cracked, bleeding, etc.) It is EXTREMELY important to get a good latch, that will make the world of difference. Also, do you have any lanolin to put on your nipples to help protect and condition them? You don't have to remove it before baby nurses. I kept my nipples saturated in that stuff in the beginning.

And like pp said the more skin to skin contact you have with her the more your hormones will kick in and make more milk. I do advise if you can to try to nurse your lo (make sure you get a GOOD latch-try this link) as often as possible. It will get better, the 1st month or 2 are the hardest but as she gets older and more aware of her surroundings things will get a little easier.

Once I excepted to just bare with the pain untill they healed (which was after the damage had already been done, which only took about a week and a half, and making sure I had a GOOD LATCH) my nipples got better and never hurt again. And be proud of yourself for trying to make it work and don't come down on yourself if you can't make it work, remember your lo's need their mommy so make sure you take care of you aswell!

And I agree on a hospital grade pump, they're greeeaaaat!!!

Stay strong mama! HTH
    Last edited by jaamommy; September 15th, 2007 at 03:01 AM.

I read an article in Journal of Human Lacatation about pumping and the limited research that has been done about all this early pumping. Is it possible the pumping was contributing to your soreness? I was very sore for 6 or 8 weeks, used lanolin and gel soothies and worked on latch. I think early pumping and supplements are dangerous to BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie View Post
    Nursing was just way too painful so I've been pumping since the day I came home from the hospital with a PIS-A.
    Did you have any help with getting breastfeeding off to a good start, Tiffanie?

Could you please describe the pain you are experiencing?

At first I was only getting 1 oz every 3 hours, but eventually I was able to get 1 1/2 oz. Well here it is 2 weeks later and if I get 1/2 oz every 2-3 hours of pumping I'm lucky. I'm now not even pumping a total of 5 oz a DAY. I attempted to let her nurse again but she nurses for an hour on each side and with two other kids that's just plain out impossible to do especially with no DH around to help out.
    How often are you pumping? And when did you first start to notice a decrease?

When your baby nurses now, is it still painful?

Is your baby gaining weight? Growing? About how many wet and dirty diapers is she having per 24 hours?

When you nurse, it helps to assure that your baby is latched on well far back on the areola. Once baby is latched on comfortably, you can watch her sucking pattern. When it slows, or she seems to be drifting off to sleep, you can compress the breast to help her take in more milk for her efforts. Here's a link that explains the technique:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html (non-LLL resource)
    And here are some videos that show the technique:
    www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html (non-LLL resource)
    Here's a video that explains how to get baby off to a good start on the breast:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

Do you have any help at home at all?

What do I do about my supply? I really don't want to stop, but I've had no choice but to supplement with formula (but I'm still pumping if I supplement). This happened with my DD1 and I was told it was stress that caused me not to produce any milk.
    Tiffanie, the number one thing that needs to occur for milk to be produced is for milk to be removed frequently. Of course, there are sometimes hinderances to milk production that may slow production or even supress it. Here is a (non-LLL) resource that outlines some of these issues: http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/hindrances.html

Here's some information on how milk production works:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html (non-LLL resource)

Here's some great information on maximizing milk production:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

I drink more than 64 oz of water a day so I'm not dehydrating. I don't know what to do.
    It's important to note that it's not necessary to drink more than what your thirst tells you to. If your urine is pale, you're getting enough. Drinking more than you want will not help increase your production.

Have you contacted your local LLL Leader? She'd be glad to help!!

Keep us updated!