Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixing BM with solids?

Unhappy Mixing BM with solids?

I'm just starting out almost 7 month old on solids and want to start with sweet potatoes, however, I'm not sure about using frozen BM to mix it with. I know you are not supposed to refreeze thawed BM, so I imagine it's not safe to unthaw the BM, mix it up with the sw. potato and then refreeze it again right? Better to use fresh BM for this purpose. I tasted some of the refrozen stuff today and it had a fowl after taste, yucky!! Must mean its bad?

Default Re: Mixing BM with solids?

LLL says that once frozen milk has been thawed, it should not be refrozen. Personally, I think I'd wait to add the milk to the baby food until just before you feed the baby. You can go ahead and freeze the sweet potatoes (make them a little thicker if you want to thin with breastmilk later) by themselves. You can mix it with recently thawed milk or recently expressed milk--some mothers find that they can just hand express a little right into the bowl, which is very convenient. No thawing milk or pulling the pump out!

Here's one way to do hand expression:

The Marmet Technique of Manual Expression*

This technique has been developed by Chele Marmet, a La Leche League Leader and lactation consultant who is the Director of the Lactation Institute in West Los Angeles, USA. As with any manual skill, practice is important.

1. Position the thumb and first two fingers about l" to 1 1/2" behind the nipple. Use this measurement, which is not necessarily the outer edge of the areola, as a guide. The areola varies in size from one woman to another. Place the thumb pad above the nipple and the finger pads below to form a "C." Avoid cupping the breast.

2. Push straight into the chest wall. Avoid spreading the fingers apart. For large breasts, first lift and then push into the chest wall.

3. Roll thumb and fingers forward as if making thumb and fingerprints at the same time. The rolling motion of the thumb and fingers compresses and empties the milk reservoirs without hurting sensitive breast tissue.

4. Repeat rhythmically to drain the reservoirs. Position, push, roll; position, push, roll.

5. Rotate the thumb and finger position to milk the other reservoirs. Use both hands on each breast.

*1978, 1979, 1981,1988 Chele Marmet. Used with permission.

(from http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html)

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Another vote for manual expression! It is so easy. DD just started solids and she isn't really on the train yet. We started with bananas. Just mushed up some banana, added some EBM to thin it out and DH ate the rest of the banana! We did the same thing with a sweet potato!

Another option is for you to pump a bottle at the beginning of the week and just keep it in the fridge. It's good up to 8 days and then you or your hubby can prepare your darling's food.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812
    Another option is for you to pump a bottle at the beginning of the week and just keep it in the fridge. It's good up to 8 days and then you or your hubby can prepare your darling's food.

This is what I do. It works out well. (I don't use it after 3 days though.)