Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about block feeding

Default Confused about block feeding

I believe I may have OALD and have read on these forums that one way to help with oversupply issues is to block feed my son (three months old). However, what confuses me is the fact that if I only feed him on one side, won't the other side become even more engorged and more prone to OALD and spraying him when he finally does feed off of it? Can someone please explain how this works?

Thank you!!

Default Re: Confused about block feeding

What I would do is feed on one side for 2 feedings then switch sides at the next feeding. I didn't experience any extra force in my letdown and experienced very little engorgment. Since your milk is produced on a supply and demand principle and your demand is decreasing for that second feed on the one side then your not producing more milk on that side.

So essentially your right breast is only refilling the one time while you nurse twice on the left. The way your body registers it is the same as your LO cutting out a feeding so you produce less so your let down isn't as forcefull. Does that makes sense? You should start noticing a difference in about 2 weeks. Now DS is almost 7 months and we no long blockfeed since my body has figured things out. Good luck.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Confused about block feeding

It may happen for a little while but it all eventually works itself out! It took us about 1 weeks for it to get to a comfortable point. Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.