Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply normal / stop block feeding during growth spurt?

Question Supply normal / stop block feeding during growth spurt?

New poster here.

DS is 6 weeks old today. I noticed symptoms of an oversupply around 2 weeks old. I denied it for a couple days, but the green frothy poop wasn't going anywhere, so I started 2 hour block feeding. It got better, so I stopped and the green poop returned. I went to a LLL meeting and the very helpful ladies there had lots of oversupply experience. The leader recommended I continue the block feeding. So I did. It was getting only marginally better, so two days ago, I increased my blocks to three hours. The next day (yesterday), BEAUTIFUL mustard yellow poop! (I never thought I'd see the day where the sight of a certain kind of poop could make me happy! lol) Also, my breasts are a lot less full between feedings. Hooray! Problem solved, right? But he's also feeding like a demon (hooray for the 6 week growth spurt). Ordinarily, I'd continue the block feeding to ensure the oversupply doesn't come back, but I'm concerned whether I could end up cutting the supply too much to be able to handle his growth spurt. What should I do?

TIA for your help.

Aimee

Default Re: Supply normal / stop block feeding during growth spurt?

Here is my suggestion: would continue block feeding and then during a growth spurt if your lo seems to be getting frustrated at one breast after a while offer the other one. Of course to avoid upping your supply try to only do this when it's obvious that he is getting frustrated. HTH
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Default Re: Supply normal / stop block feeding during growth spurt?

I'd just continue with the block feeding. We'd do ours for 3 hour blocks (he ate often in those blocks). When he'd nurse more, he'd just nurse more in those time blocks. Then off to the other breast when the block was over. Your baby's nursing patterns change here and there any how so the body will just adjust accordingly. Sometimes it will adjust just as baby is going back to a 'regular' schedule, but the body will adust again then too...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.