Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Desprate to BF correctly!

Default Re: Help! Desprate to BF correctly!

Glad to hear that you were able to call a Leader. Did that help your situation at all?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
    Hello, I have a 1 week old! At the hospital after she was born she was able to BF on my right breast for 5 or 10 minutes. Then I was sooo tired and sore (episitomy and tear) that I had to stop. I am so glad I had that moment with her, which it was longer but I could hardly think. So then back at our room as soon as we got there I requested an LC. I BF all day, each time it got worse and worse and slowly my nipples started bleeding and cracking by the end of the first day, I asked my nurse again for the LC and I was "on the list" but never knew when they would come, I asked again and again. Finally an LC came at 6am the day I would be leaving. She was nice but by then my nipples had been destroyed and she told me to rest them so we bottle fed. I wish we had not, or I wish something else had been done, or I wish they had come to me earlier!

Baby has a high palette and she gums my breast hard and pulls in her lower lip no matter how wide she opens! So I was exhausted and had no sleep and the perkaset I had put me in horrible nightmares... I wanted to GO HOME! At home I was resting and pumping my nipples for 2 days, after my parents left I called an LC who came by and helped me, we got baby to BF with her here, but I don't have 4 arms and I can't get baby to latch right on my own! I tried the next day 3 times, by the 3rd time I was crying when BF'ing because it hurt so much... each time was worse. HUsband went out that night to get the breastflow bottles as LC had instructed. That 3rd time I was ready to give up... I talked to my sister on the phone and she uncouraged me to keep trying when I am calm and collected, so last night I slept and bottle fed. Those bottles give poor baby gas but I can see her learning to put her lip down... I am hoping these bottles really help.

I plan to try to BF today again at some point, but I am nervouse and I know that doesn't help. I'm scared it will go awful and I will cry again. I just want to BF my baby! She will latch and she's an excellent eater, but she just has an awful latch that hurts so much. Any advice would be welcome!!!

my youngest now 11mos old had the hard suckle and I used the lanolin cream along with warm showers and sleeping with the baby at night... yes it hurt like H3LL but after that 1month mark it got much better. HTH and hope u have gotten some relief.

yeah I succesffully did one session and she took each boob boob and they seemed fine!! Then i was tired... and

okay no idea what happend there i dont know where i went.. well i did one succesful session but i went to sleep and husband bottle fed her the next time becuase I was exhausted, going to try again here soon when baby wakes up!

Everything went all sorta funky looking while I was BF, my sister says im not eating enough or something... it was weird.

Try to keep some snacks with you while Bf- cheese and crackers, or fruit and veggie sticks with dip, or a sandwich to munch on. I remember in those first weeks, I was eating as much as my mom and DH combined. Having a ready made snack (and a bottle of water) on hand while nursing made everything much better.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

I made it through feeding #2, and I didn't see black this time. I ate most of the time... my nipples sort of got like elongated a little bit but it didnt hurt too bad... if I can get through #3 without crying I'll have done better then yesterday, with #1 and #2 today no crying (on my part lol).

Hang in there mama! And keep getting as much help with that latch as you need. It's okay to call your LLL Leader again if you feel like you need more support.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

so glad things are going better for you. Just wanted to encourage you. I had a terrible time with my son's latch and ended up with 1 bleeding nipple so I know how you feel. I didn't think my nipples would ever heal but they finallly did! I am still nursing him and he will be 3 in November!! so hang in there-it really will get better. Don't feel bad if you have to alternate pumping and breastfeeding. I had to do that for a couple months to give myself a break. It hurt so bad I broke into a sweat and tears would come streaming down.It helped me to nurse him in a different position. It hurt less and let those sore areas heal. For me lying down really helped. I really am glad I didn't give up. I remember the day when I was feeling much better and we actually fell asleep nursing. That was a wonderful milestone! Finally I got to say goodbye to the pump You sound like you are on the right track and it's only been a week. That is great
    Last edited by RachaelVashti; September 14th, 2007 at 09:03 PM.

You can tell with all these replies that you're not the only one! A lot of us have been through what you're describing! It gets better.

If you plan to have more kids, the next time you'll be even more prepared for the challenges of newborns. Just because this didn't go smoothly the first time doesn't mean it will always be like that.

I cried from the pain many a time my babies were eating during those early weeks (I have twins). Just keep at it!! Keep on top of the pain with ibuprofen, if that works for you. And stay hydrated.

You're amazing to work through these speed bumps!

now im dealing with more of an angry feelng, because if i try to take her OFF to relatch her she gets soooo pissed and only relatches on worse then before.... makes me wanna go punch my husband because he's sleeping and i've been up from like 10pm with half an hour of sleep MAYBE at one point. The bottle was easier, she slept 2 hour incriments after each bottle... now she's not sleepng more then an hour with the boob, and she's pinching them i can tell when she comes off and it hurts more each time again.