Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Desprate to BF correctly!

Angry Help! Desprate to BF correctly!

Hello, I have a 1 week old! At the hospital after she was born she was able to BF on my right breast for 5 or 10 minutes. Then I was sooo tired and sore (episitomy and tear) that I had to stop. I am so glad I had that moment with her, which it was longer but I could hardly think. So then back at our room as soon as we got there I requested an LC. I BF all day, each time it got worse and worse and slowly my nipples started bleeding and cracking by the end of the first day, I asked my nurse again for the LC and I was "on the list" but never knew when they would come, I asked again and again. Finally an LC came at 6am the day I would be leaving. She was nice but by then my nipples had been destroyed and she told me to rest them so we bottle fed. I wish we had not, or I wish something else had been done, or I wish they had come to me earlier!

Baby has a high palette and she gums my breast hard and pulls in her lower lip no matter how wide she opens! So I was exhausted and had no sleep and the perkaset I had put me in horrible nightmares... I wanted to GO HOME! At home I was resting and pumping my nipples for 2 days, after my parents left I called an LC who came by and helped me, we got baby to BF with her here, but I don't have 4 arms and I can't get baby to latch right on my own! I tried the next day 3 times, by the 3rd time I was crying when BF'ing because it hurt so much... each time was worse. HUsband went out that night to get the breastflow bottles as LC had instructed. That 3rd time I was ready to give up... I talked to my sister on the phone and she uncouraged me to keep trying when I am calm and collected, so last night I slept and bottle fed. Those bottles give poor baby gas but I can see her learning to put her lip down... I am hoping these bottles really help.

I plan to try to BF today again at some point, but I am nervouse and I know that doesn't help. I'm scared it will go awful and I will cry again. I just want to BF my baby! She will latch and she's an excellent eater, but she just has an awful latch that hurts so much. Any advice would be welcome!!!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Help! Desprate to BF correctly!

Have you contacted your local La Leche League Leader? They can help you fix your latch. In the meantime, have you used lanolin cream on your nipples? I remember my nipples being very tender those first 2-3 weeks and using lanolin helped some.

My friend just had this problem with her now 2-month old. She continued to BF through the pain and used meditation, counting, calming music and deep breaths to deal with it. She also used some of the suggestions on kellymom.com for sore/cracked nipples (I don't have the link but if you go on the website and search, I'm sure you'll find it - some other moms will probably come on and give you the specific link.) Eventually her DD began to latch so that she wasn't sucking a lot on the nipple and the pain started to go away. But she had to be a trooper and put up with it for a few weeks.

You could also experiment with position. My friend found that one particular pillow and hold together helped her DD latch on better.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I imagine it must hurt a lot!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

No i have not contacted them, I had a LC come to my house... and I think the LC at the hospital gave me info on groups, do you just call the LLL person?

Quote Originally Posted by cmp12345 View Post
    Have you contacted your local La Leche League Leader? They can help you fix your latch. In the meantime, have you used lanolin cream on your nipples? I remember my nipples being very tender those first 2-3 weeks and using lanolin helped some.
    Yes, you can just call the leader.
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

talking to one now...

Quote Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
    talking to one now...
    Great!!

that was really nice how they just talk to you and give ou all the advice!

Hi there! Ouch- what you've described really reminds me of what I went through. Super-cracked, sort-of-flat nipples, no help at the hospital, baby with a bad latch, a high palate, and a short tongue, and never enough hands to get positioning right.

What helped me most was seeing two IBCLCs. Each one had different tricks that helped me get positioning just right, and one rented me a hospital-grade pump and a professional scale. The hospital-grade pump helped me keep my supply up and increase it when it was low, which I needed to do because my daughter's latch was so inefficient that I ended up with reduced milk transfer and low supply. The scale helped me learn what a good feeding session was like- I would weigh my daughter before and after feedings to make sure she had managed to get enough milk out of me.

One technique that helped my daughter latch on more deeply (causing less nipple trauma) was what the IBCLC called "auroela sandwich." Here's how she explained it to me: imagine you're about to bite into a giant hoagie sandwich. If you want to get the most sandwich into your mouth, you're going to have to flatten it a bit, right? Same with the breast. Before latching your baby on, make a "C" shape with your hand. Your thumb is at the top of the C and your fingers form the bottom of the C. Now, position your cupped hand right behind the aureola, with thumb at the top, fingers below. Gently compress your hand, so that your aureola transforms from a round shape to an oval shape. Now, align the long axis of the oval parallel to the long axis of your baby's mouth, and latch her on. Hopefully this will get her on more deeply.

Another thing that helped me a lot was to nurse using the side-lying position all the time. That way the baby was supported by the bed, and I could use both hands to position the baby's head and my breast, instead of trying to do it all with one hand. A lot of moms also have success using the football hold. If there's any position that works better than others for you, use it. Other positions will come in time!

Don't be too afraid to pump and bottle-feed sometimes if you can't stand the pain anymore. Sometimes a break of a day or two will help your nipples to heal. Just be cautious about nipple confusion- try to keep your baby at the breast for some feedings so she won't forget how to latch on.

Go topless or at least bra-less as often as you can, to reduce chaffing. You can use a pea-sized amount of bacitracin mixed with 1% hydrocortizone cream on the cracks to reduce inflammation and risk of infection- just clean it off before nursing. Lansinoh lanolin cream can also be used to keep your cracks from getting too dry and scabbed. It doesn't need to be removed before nursing unless your baby has wool allergies. (Lanolin comes from sheep wool.)

Moisten your nipples before nursing. A lot of the pain from cracking comes from the scabbed-over parts tearing open again. If you moisten the scabs with a warm wet washcloth, or by immersing your nipples in warm water for several minutes, the pain should be somewhat reduced when your baby latches on.

Hang in there! It does get better if you can hang on. I had cracks for 4.5 months- which is at the extreme end- and just when I had resolved to live with them for a whole year, they healed. My daughter is 18 months old, and still nursing.

to you! I'm so sorry you are going through this right now!! Momma1 really gave you some great tips and I hope those help! Whenever possible, express some of your bm onto your nipples and let them air dry. That will them heal faster. HTH
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07