Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LLLKate (and anyone else) Burp Question

Default LLLKate (and anyone else) Burp Question

Hi Kate!

I was reading your thread to Luke's Mom about burping. My son has gained 5lbs in 6 weeks and is having extreme problems with burping lately. I read your info to her and I'm thinking I'm having oversupply but I don't spray milk or have any sensations while letting down... so I never thought I had much in there.

My question is, do you know if burp troubles can be caused by diet or is that just lower gas? I can't see how burps are, considering they are air taken in while eating, but maybe I'm wrong? I had some dairy the other day and I've been paranoid that I've caused him worse burp troubles.

What causes burps? I think he's latched well... I don't know.

My son has 2-3 burps per eating and I never get them all, especially when he falls asleep. If I interrupt him while eating, he freaks out, but if not, he ends up screaming later in the day and I whack about 6 burps out of him while he's screaming. Poor guy.

Thanks for your help.

Wendy

Default Re: LLLKate (and anyone else) Burp Question

Please anyone help- I'm so frustrated. My son just got his reflux stuff ok and now he's got all of these trapped burps that I can't get out. Especially when he's alseep.

Why did I read in literature that breastfed babies don't usually have burps or need to be burped? That's a crock! This is starting to ruin my awake time with my son as I whack on his back the whole time- I hate burping! Why is he so gassy! Thanks

Hi! I am also still having a lot of trouble burping my DS. I know he has them but he just won't let go of them! I have found a couple of things that have helped A LITTLE: 1) I bounce on an excersize ball with DS over my shoulder and 2) I rock him in the glider (pretty fast) with him over my shoulder while putting an upward pressure on the left side of his back. I would have never thought that burping would be an issue. I've never heard of babies that don't burp!!!

I have also had to wake him up with a cold washcloth b/c he won't burp after falling asleep at the breast like your DS.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My dd has always been an easy burper, so this isn't advice from personal experience. But...here it goes anyway. I believe that burping is caused by air taken in by eating and that it is not caused by something in your diet, necessarily. Although it might be to some degree...I think lower gas is def. caused by your diet though, so if dd is gassy and burpy, consider the elimination diet. My friend the pharmacist suggested the simethicone drops--she said they are totally harmless (mylicon makes them and they come generic too). She said she did an experiment on them in a bottle of formula and all it does is cause the bubble to come together and then rise to the top, making it easier to burp. You might try those and see if it works. I used them for time b/c my dd was colicky, and sometimes they helped, sometimes they didn't.

Good luck though and don't give up!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

i keep posting here but my dh just had a thought. We just got our reflux issues sorted out and then I started pumping to start storing milk for when I go back to work! This trouble he's been having started right around when I started pumping- I didn't realize it until he just pointed that out.

So- after reading Kate's response to Luke'smom about the oversupply, my question now is can my pumping have affected oversupply (I'm sure it has)

How do I pump and not have trouble like this? He already feeds from one breast and sometimes from the other, too. Block feeding really won't work I don't think. And as for trying to reduce milk supply, I don't want to do that because of needing it for work. Help!

My advice is this...if you haven't already gone back to work then you are probably freezing milk right? I did the same thing, but haven't really used much of what I froze. I pump when I think my baby would be eating and use the fresh milk (fresh is best, they say) to fill bottles for the next day. I get just enough and sometimes a tad more than dd will use in her bottles.

I guess what I am suggesting is that you probably only need a backup supply if you intend to pump while you are away from your baby (which you should to maintain supply and to stay comfortable during your workday). This backup supply won't need to be too large because you should be able to pump enough to keep baby's bottles full. Some people have a problem with this but I don't think most do. I have days where I pump less and days where I pump more but it evens out.

So...you might be able to cut back on the amount you are pumping right now, or once you get a freezer supply established.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I know if i eat any vegetable or any gasy foods - she is impossible to burp. Also, I give her a teaspoon of Gripe Water after I feed at times and that really helps burp. When she was able to sit up on her own - I would do that and she would burp herself.

Quote Originally Posted by MomofAaron
    I read your info to her and I'm thinking I'm having oversupply but I don't spray milk or have any sensations while letting down... so I never thought I had much in there.
    Although I could feel the let down, I didn't spray (or hadn't noticed anyway) and thought I had a supply issue. A LLL leader convinced me that what I had was oversupply and OALD. In fact, I thought we had taken care of it, but the other day my DD pulled off and it was spraying all over. Apparently, she's just gotten much better about handling the spray.

Quote Originally Posted by MomofAaron
    So- after reading Kate's response to Luke'smom about the oversupply, my question now is can my pumping have affected oversupply (I'm sure it has).
    Yes, I'm sure that's what caused mine. My DD used to sleep late into the morning and I would be engorged. So I started pumping every morning rather than letting my body adjust and my supply even out. What was suggested to me was that I stop pumping and try block feeding. I was pretty nervous about this since it was about 2.5 weeks prior to starting work when I'd need to be pumping again. I had a very small freezer stash. This did help.

As the pp stated, don't worry too much about having a large freezer stash. I have only had to use milk from my freezer stash twice. Once to go out to the movies before I went back to work and my first day back at work. From that day on, I've been able to give DD fresh milk that I've pumped the day before. In fact, I just had to throw out some milk that had been in the freezer for longer than 4 months.

Good luck and hang in there!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Hi Wendy,

It has been a busy day-my first chance to check in!

You have read (correctly) somewhere that some BF babies don't need to be burped...but some do! Especially those that tend to gulp their milk very quickly, taking in a lot of air. That would fit the description of a baby dealing with Oversupply and/or OALD (overactive let-down). I don't have specific information on gas/burps from foods mom eats, but that's not to say it doesn't exist. What I have in front of me only suggests that burps are from swallowed air.

Would you be able to try some of the suggestions in the Luke's mom thread? Change positioning, nursing lying back or with baby sitting up, block feeding?
    Block feeding might work: you would offer only one breast anytime he wanted to nurse in a 2-3 time period (to start with). Then for the next time period only offer the other side. This will downgrade supply over the next few days. You sound like you have *lots* of milk, so it may be necessary to go to longer blocks of time, such as 4 hours. Some moms have had to go even longer. But start at 2-3 hours and then you can lengthen if needed.

Yes, you are right that pumping way more than what your baby needs right now may be exacerbating his problem. You are kicking you body into overdrive (lucky you to be able to make so much milk, right? ) and ds is having a tough time dealing with it.

Now, I know you mentioned not wanting to block feed to reduce supply because of going back to work. Is the reason you are storing up milk now because you will not be able to express milk at work? That is the situation for some moms and I can totally understand your wanting to do this if this is your situation!

But, if you are going to be able to express milk at work, then you may want to consider cutting back on the pumping right now and seeing if that helps ds and your supply.

Keep us posted!

Epbrown- good point about keeping frozen milk. I didn't think about that, but I really don't need a huge frozen stash if I'm going to be expressing at work, right? Ha, thanks for your point!

I've tried feeding side-lying and it seems to be working quite well! And I have been block feeding, too. I'm going to follow a couple more of the tips, too. Thank you, Kate!

So, now I'm wondering- if I stop pumping milk for storage for work, that's fine. I'm still on maternity leave. So, let's say I get my milk supply back down. And next week or so, my son doesn't miss any feedings one day and I still need a bottle for for the next day because I'm going to be away from the house and a sitter is going to give it to him. Can I pump for that one time without increasing milk supply? Because now I'll be afraid to pump a bottle- heck, I was only pumping twice a day anyway! Arrrgh!

Also, does it only take a couple of days to have milk supply go back down?

Thank you!