Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Home made food and constipation

Default Home made food and constipation

To those experienced mums out there.

What food tends to constipate babies and what food dosnt? I have noticed banana and sweet potatoe constipate my baby.

Default Re: Home made food and constipation

It may not be the food itelsef (but probably is ) but rather the fact that it is a solid! it may take weeks to fine tune what amount you can give to keep the bm's soft...

BTW - what makes you feel he is constipated?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The biggest offenders tend to be bananas, applesauce and rice cereal, but I found almost everything constipated my son when we first started solids. It gets better as their systems mature. If you think your baby is constipated I would pull back on the solids and make sure your nursing a lot.

Anne

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

applesauce shouldn't constipate. In fact, it should help move things along. I do agree with the pp, though...it is probably just the fact that you started solids

Rice cereal was the worse, I switched to oatmeal right away b/c it was so bad. I think Cheerios do too, and banana. And meat, mine are little carnivores. Pumpkin seems to help with Gwen (she doesn't like plums), and Jules will eat plums. Sometimes I let them play around with sippy cups after eating solids to get a little extra water in. I remember reading on kellymom that some babies need a little water anytime they eat solids.