Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: some advice please

Default some advice please

Hello ladies,
    I have a 16 month old daughter and i still breastfeed some during day and she wakes up 3 times at night most nights at 10:00, 2:00 and 5:00. i will be leaving for a much needed vacation in nov. how should i deal with this as my mother in law will be keeping her? should i wean her now and if so how would i? and if not what will happen when i'm not here and she's waking up?

Default Re: some advice please

How long are you going to be gone?

Way too lazy for formula

Is there any way to take her with? Or postpone the vacation? If neither is an option (or desire), my best suggestion is to either 1) continue to nurse as you are and know that your baby will adjust while you are gone or 2) try the Jay Gordon method for nightweaning in the family bed so it will be less of a concern.

Even if your baby is nightweaned by that point, be aware that the change of being away from mom *could* cause her to wake. This would be so with ANY baby fed in ANY way.

just fri through monday

I would suggest don't do anything since you will only be gone for a couple of days and you can resume nursing when you are back. While you are back your daughter will probably wake up anyway whether you wean or not since she will miss you but I assume she will go back to sleep relatively easily because in my experience babies cause difficulty to only the moms. I guess they know that they can make mommy do anything by instinct

At about 16 months, when my daughter woke in the night, her father took over "night duty" and offered some other type of drink. She learned farily quickly that there was not much advantage to waking in the middle of the night (as she would not get to nurse) and she became a much better night sleeper. She continued to nurse in the day though (and still does at 2 years old)

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    I would suggest don't do anything since you will only be gone for a couple of days and you can resume nursing when you are back. While you are back your daughter will probably wake up anyway whether you wean or not since she will miss you but I assume she will go back to sleep relatively easily because in my experience babies cause difficulty to only the moms. I guess they know that they can make mommy do anything by instinct
    I totally agree. My DS will not fall asleep unless I nurse him. If I leave him with my inlaws he "gives up" and falls asleep on his own.