Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: some help with bottlefeeding xx

Thumbs up some help with bottlefeeding xx

firstly thanks to everyones help with 'one bigger than other' thread really helped.

now to return the favor.

if any one is feeling they would like to go out for the night leaving their LO with a (trusted) babysitter, but is still BF

or

if any one is having trouble filling their LO up whilst BF and is considering giving them the occasional bottle of formula milk

never fear heres some hints from my experience as a big sister.

firstly the best formula milk i feel is cow and gate premium. its as close to breast milk as formula milk can get.

secondly dont worry if you LO doesnt like it to start with this is natural as your milk is sweet and formula milk isnt. the way i got round this was to put 1 teaspoon of natural honey in the bottom of the bottle add half or 1 once of boiling water to melt it then add however much formula milk.
    this then makes the milk sweet in taste and even closer in taste to your milk.

if you have any other problems dont hesitate to ask as i might havae sorted it and found a solution.

good luck xx

Default Re: some help with bottlefeeding xx

Quote Originally Posted by mystic174 View Post

secondly dont worry if you LO doesnt like it to start with this is natural as your milk is sweet and formula milk isnt. the way i got round this was to put 1 teaspoon of natural honey in the bottom of the bottle add half or 1 once of boiling water to melt it then add however much formula milk.
    this then makes the milk sweet in taste and even closer in taste to your milk.
    If your baby is younger than 12 months, you should never give her/him honey since it is a risk for infant botulism.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    If your baby is younger than 12 months, you should never give her/him honey since it is a risk for infant botulism.
    my nan is 84 she had 14 kids and gave them all honey and my mum has given all seven of hers honey it hasn't done us any harm at all.

that goes along the same line as....... well back in my day none of my 6 kids were in car seats...they are all fine. i still put my kid in a car seat kwim. not trying to be rude but that line of thinking doesnt work for me. new research has suggested honey is not good for preggo moms or their babies
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Mystic, are you pregnant? Just curious. From what I've seen, it's uncommon to have posters without children or who are not breastfeeding here, though we've gotten a new daddy a few times.

Though I cannot officially speak for the organization (only posters with "LLL" in front of their names speak on behalf of LLLI), LLL generally prefers to try and exhaust all avenues of BreastFeeding/giving breastmilk before trying bottles or formula. No offense, surely you meant well, but many of the mothers here aren't very fond of formula-feeding when they can do otherwise. There are many reasons why it isn't recommended or compatible with breastfeeding success. Just for future reference.

Also, just so you know, honey is now considered unsafe for children under 12 months of age, like PP said, because of botulism. Some people may have given it before this knowledge, but some also gave cow's milk before 12 months which we now know is too hard for infants to digest. With this newly-attained knowledge, many people hardly find it worth the risk. Just some friendly information!

Last edited by JustSasha; September 26th, 2007 at 09:31 AM.