Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: growth spurt PLEASE HELP READY TO GIVE UP

Unhappy growth spurt PLEASE HELP READY TO GIVE UP

hi my son is 4 weeks old and up until the 5th of this month he was great feeding about every 3 hours, but since and still he never seems to be off my breast crys never sleeps , ive been told this is a growth spurt , i getting to the point im going to give it up and bottle feed , how long do they last for, hes putting a about 1/2 oz a day on and plenty of yellow poos and wees

Default Re: growth spurt PLEASE HELP READY TO GIVE UP

My guess is this growth spurt will end soon, but another will be approaching soon. it does get easier. My LO is 8 weeks old and we've gone through a few times like this. Just think - your LO is growing that much because of you! You have given him everything he needs.

I was tempted after the first growth spurt at 1 week to give up, but I didn't, we kept on and it passes in time. When I had her in for her 1 month well baby visit I saw how much she had grown and it made me feel awesome! Granted we've since then have had to supplement with formula just so I can go to work - I can't get enough pumped if any at all.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Here is some info on growth spurts. Hang in there mama, we've all BTDT. to you.

thanks to you all if my baby is putting on 1/2 oz a week is that enough or should he be putting on more weight than that

This WILL pass. Keep reminding yourself that this frequent feeding is a good thing, because it means he's growing and thriving, and the fact that you are feeding on demand means your supply will rise to meet his needs! So good job, mama!

There are a few things you can do to get through the rough times. You can learn to nurse in a sling/wrap, so your LO can just nurse away as long as he wants and you can do other things. If you haven't already, you can work on side-lying nursing and even cosleeping, so that you can some rest while he nurses.

If your baby is having enough wet/dirty diapers (as you say he is), and generally seems happy and developing, then PLEASE do not obsess about weight. The worst thing you can do for your stress level (unless your LO has a medical condition requiring careful weight monitoring) is weigh your baby frequently and worry about a half oz. here and a half oz. there - you'll drive yourself crazy. The best thing DH ever did for me was flat-out refuse to let me get a baby scale - he literally turned off my computer when he saw me looking at them online, LOL. So I COMPLETELY understand the urge, which is exacerbated by our society's reliance on things we can measure (*cough* formula *cough*), but try to learn to trust your baby and your ability to take care of him naturally. A healthy breastfed baby who nurses on demand will grow at exactly the pace he is supposed to.

Hang in there, you're doing great!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

Another thought that I'm sure you already know --

Formula is not a cure-all! Formula won't (necessarily) stop the fussiness, make your baby less demanding, get him to sleep longer, "cure" his desire to be close to mommy, etc.

I think 4 and 6 weeks of age is a time when we as moms start to think we should be getting things back to "normal" and that our babies should be more independent. But instead, a 4-to-6-week-old baby is even more needy, it seems, than before!

My twins were the same way at this age. The way I got through this hard time is by reminding myself that what they need more than anything is the mothering only I could give them at the breast. Laundry, dishes, work, everything else can be done by someone else. I wish I could come help you around the house so you could just take care of you and your baby!

Hang in there!

growth spurts pass just stay with it and everything will regulate... another thing to keep in mind he is upping your supply for that growth spurt. hang in there.

hes putting a about 1/2 oz a day on
    if my baby is putting on 1/2 oz a week is that enough
    Hi there

Is it 1/2 oz a DAY or a WEEK?
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

hi sorry its 1/2 oz a day ,

thanks to every one for the great advice im going to stick with it and it was the coment about Formula won't (necessarily) stop the fussiness, your right , stuff the house work, wont hurt for a few weeks to leave it, it would make it easier if a had a good partner, but all i get off him is he works all day and needs his rest ha, coz i dont do anything, never mind good job im good at being a mum.
    mum of 3
    hayden 12/06/1996
    bethan 12/08/1999
    finlay 15/08/2007